Wall Outdoor Faucet Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

100South

Reaction score
Hello how are all you doing? I have a question I currently have a cheap outdoor culinary outdoor faucet that came with my home. My home was built in 1998 and now on the handle part there is a leak that comes out of it. It is a pretty good leek nothing that squirts out just drips quickly. Well I want to know if anyone has any experience with this tap I really do not like it and was wondering if I should have an expert come out and just take it out and give me a better one that will work for a while. I tried putting some thread tape on this but a small leak started where my shut off valve comes into my house. I am thinking I just put a band aid on the problem and the back pressure was coming so I shut off the water and reversed what I did and now the problem is not there any more. Well here is a link to the faucet that I have please let me know if I need an expert or if I should just try and install a new one myself? If it is something that I could do myself please let me know a good faucet.

http://www.lockeplumbing.com/detail...14-20&r1=greendoor&r2=LEE-MS-64099&r3=LENZYME

I included a picture and the red arrow is where the water iscoming from.

Attachments

• WOO-14-20.jpg
    WOO-14-20.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 2,445
Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If that is the actual faucet you have it is a Woodford and is one of the better brands used. There should be a shut off valve inside that can isolate it , You should be able to find the parts you need to repair it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you have is probably repairable, but if you don't like it, replace it and be happy. This is not really a job that requires a master plumber, you can do it yourself if you exercise reasonable care and common sense. This is a frost free faucet which means the actual shutting off is done deep inside. That way, the water will drain out of the faucet and not freeze in the winter. The most difficult part of the job is getting the old faucet off of the supply line where it likely comes out of an adapter soldered into a tee. You have to use two wrenches to avoid twisting the tee and/or supply line. Use one on the faucet to loosen it and the other on the adaptor coming out of the tee with pressure in the opposite direction from the first wrench. The same procedure in reverse is used to install the new faucet. If you use Teflon tape on the threads, be sure you wrap the tape so that it won't unwrap as you screw the faucet into the adapter. If you use Plumbers' Pipe Dope, just paint it on the threads. The faucet must be oriented so that the top of the faucet is up. A word of caution for the future. Frost free faucets will not drain if a hose is left attached, so be sure to remove hoses in the fall. The faucet will be shut off, but the water remaining in the tube will freeze and split the tube. You won't get a leak until the first time you turn the faucet on. Then you'll have a flood.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If you properly support the faucet I would be tempted to tighten the brass nut near one of your red arrow leaks. Behind that nut is a rubber washer. Snugging it up may stop the leak.

I had an awful time taking my faucet (the same one) apart. I could not get it back together again so just bought a new one. So be careful if you choose to undo the bolt. Note that I recommended above trying to tighten it in the first instance, not to undo it.

If you do replace it, you may need one that also comes with an anti-siphon device. My faucets are low to the ground, so I have this feature on mine.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks