Replace weatherhead without turning off service?

Users who are viewing this thread

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The weatherheads we use in AZ ARE two piece....actually 3 piece counting the insulated part. It's possible that you only need to carefully put the top piece back in place.

Pictures?

This is a 3 piece unit.

product_image_resize.asp

The black insulator is one part. The part that clamps to the riser is one part and the hood that covers it is separate and held by 2 screws. If yours looks like this and is simply missing the top piece, it's easy. If you have issues with the insulator or the bottom piece, you have to disconnect, route the wires thru the new one and reconnect.

It's still a DIY project if the power company will disconnect and reconnect.

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
What would you do if no meter was available...wait for three weeks for electric company?
No. I would install one of the jumper plates that I have on my truck.
The DO make a safe alternative to hacksaw blades and flattened copper pipe you know.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
The risk is more than just being "zapped." The POCO transformer can supply a very large amount of current, perhaps 10,000 amps, in the event of a fault. If you've ever seen an arc welder at work, that arc is only about 100A. If your service wires short while you're working near them, you may be spending a long time in the burn ward.

More likely, you'd be spending time in the morgue.

edlentz

Reaction score
I replaced the service entrance and upgraded my 100A to a 200A service by myself. I pulled the permit from the city, called the Power company, they came out first thing in the morning. I demo'd the old stuff and installed new service mast weatherhead, put in 2-0 copper from the weatherhead thru the new meter box and then to my panel. Had it done by about 2:30 got inspected by the city and they called the poweer company to reconnect. The only hitch was I had to call in an emergency call to get my power reconnected, somehow our reconnect got lost. The point is, Where we are we can do this stuff as a homeowner, it wasn't that bad, if you are handy. I would get another quote for this, it sounds awful high to me. Heck, I think I only spent about $300.00 for all my materials!

Good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks