Cast Iron Crack

Users who are viewing this thread

RochNY

Reaction score
I noticed a small (2 inch long) crack(s) above the neoprene sleeve where they hooked pvc drain pipe to the existing cast iron pipe from the toilet above it. I think the crack(s) is from the snap cutters used to cut the old cast iron pipe out. Is this common when using a snap cutter? It is not leaking and is about a 1/32 inch wide. Is this something that should be fixed? Thanks.

snap_cutter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you sure its not a seam?

Its not very common , but it does happen when the cast iron becomes a little thinner.

If it is cracked, it should be fixed,. It will not get any better and it won't fix itself. The best that can happen, it won't get any bigger. The worst that can happen, it will run over time

RochNY

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure it is not a seam. I haven't noticed it getting much bigger over the last few months. What is the best way to fix something like this? Thanks again.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The best way to fix it, is to make another cut where possible and replace that section of cast. I would take caution before making another cut with the soil pipe cutters. Make sure the cast can withstand the pressure without collapsing. The alternative way to cut it is with a sawzall and a good cast iron cutting blade.

RochNY

Reaction score
Since there is a possibility of a best case scenario that it is not getting any

worse and it is not leaking, is there a way to prevent the crack from running any

farther? I've read some people have tried J.B weld or even bondo on leaking

cracks. Would this be feasible for preventing a non-leaking crack from getting

worse?

Reaction score
JB Weld Metal Epoxy

Its actually been used on cast iron engine blocks.
if the crack is cleaned properly, I believe if you do it right, you could be quite surprised what this material will do.
For a few bucks, give it an evaluation

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
crack

If the pipe is cracked rust will develop in the crack and that will cause pressure which will extend the crack regardless of any material applied to the surface. Any plumber who has worked in areas with a lot of cast iron has seen sections with cracks several feet long which started as a "nick".

RochNY

Reaction score
Hj

Hey HJ, are those cracks that are several feet log are they all bound to leak? I

have a hub about 10 inches above the crack. Not sure how soon I need to

replace this.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Actually, the hub might make it easier...remove the pipe from the hub, or if it is a female, remove the hub itself, then use a no-hub to piece in a section of pvc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks