basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

mitchellmw

Reaction score
Website
www.matthewmitchellphotography.com
i'm finishing my basement this summer, and would like to put in a small half bathroom directly below the upstairs bathroom. i'm sure it's possible, but just not sure if i can tie into the existing plumbing without having to cut into the concrete floor.

i've included 2 photos to give you a better idea of what i'm dealing with.

any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks.
_MG_4678.jpg

_MG_4682.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can cut into the drain to connect a sink without breaking up concrete, but you will need to crack some concrete to put in a toilet and a shower unless you take the kludge of building a raised floor to allow the shower to drain to the existing stack. You really would need to figure out how deep your drain is under the slab, but it is probably deep enough to put in new drains, connect to the existing drain line, and run new vents.

You will need to run new vent line up above the fixtures that are above it (you could do it in the attic).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Options are:

Cut the slab with a wet saw, and put the plumbing below grade, making sure you vent the lower bathroom fixtures with a seperate vent that ties in above the fixtures on the upper floor.
This is always the best option.

Use either a wall hug toilet, or floor mounted rear outlet toilet and either cut in a tee for that bathroom set very low or perhaps cutting some concrete out an connecting low enough for it to work.
Disadvantage to this would be the toilets themselves.
They are more money, but not as nice as floor mounts.

Use a pumping type toilet
If there is a problem with the pump, or the power is out, you can't use the bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks