Please review my Drain/Vent Schematic

Users who are viewing this thread

mrhoades

Reaction score
I have renovated my first floor bathroom. I now need some advice on how to run the drains and vents. There are 4 fixtures (all in place): tub, seperate shower, vanity sink, and kitchen sink on the opposite side of wet wall....... the toilet remains in original position and is plumbed.

I have included 1 AAV for the vanity sink due to its distance from the wet wall which has the venting. Please notice how i am tying in the vanity, tub, and shower drain pipes to a single pipe that will dump down into the stack....is this ok? Can the shower and tub share a vent downstream?

I have a 3 days window to get this drain/vent system done... so please any and all advice ...criticisms... are more than welcome!!!

Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

• btrxx.bmp
    47.3 KB · Views: 3,395

Rombo

Reaction score
it's kinda hard to make everything out but don't half ass it as use an auto vent when you have access to tie into open air, that not what they are desinged for

mrhoades

Reaction score
anyone else ? I'll try to repost a better pic

would prefer someone that can actual add some constructive criticism.... rombo (not so much)

Rombo

Reaction score
Then make a clear drawing. Neatly and detailed label everything and size it.

What are those coming of the tub and shower drains vents, drains, sizing

You can't expect a plumber to put free effort into something you put none into. Did you draw that on a serviette while eating dinner last night ?

mrhoades

Reaction score
new picture

here is a PDF of my layout... should be more clear.

rombo... if you are with knowledge on the subject... I welcome your constructive advice.... if not please defer to the people that do.

Tx, mike

Attachments

• brt1.pdf
    14.3 KB · Views: 482

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you are planning on doing is inadequate and will not work. Specifically, the venting is wrong, the use 1 1/2 drain pipe is poor practice, you're drawing doesn't indicate the fittings you intend to use, and why you are carrying the lav drain like that is a mystery. In order to advise: what is the layout of the floor joists (I'm assuming you're not on a slab), what material are you working with (cast iron, pvc, abs) and where are you located (city and state)? Have you pulled the necessary permits? Quite frankly, trying to knock this out in three days is unrealistic. More realistically, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, you might understand what to do and possibly why in three days.

-Sam

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Starting at the toilet.
You can't dump the other waste over the top of that fitting.
You can put a wye below the toilet, to accept the other waste.
That way the pipe over the santee can operate as a vent.
The kitchen sink is vented fine.
I would like to see the shower and the tub with vents.
Many places will allow an AAV where the lav is, however if walls are open, you are always much better off to run vent all the way through.
Normally the pipe and flashing is less money than a code approved AAV, and will never need replacement, unlike an AAV that can go bad, and the need to provide air and access for it.

Most of the drawings I see people post, are being based on how little they think they can get away with and still work.
Many of the layouts posted do not work.

It's much easier to vent every fixture, then you will know it works.
If you are using plastic pipe and fittings, there is almost no money involved. And once the pipes are buried under floors and walls, there is no going back to fix it.

mrhoades

Reaction score
I do apologize for the pic... Its really hard to show all the angles in one tiff. doc. That I have to shrink to the size needed for upload. ( Terry the wye will be below the toilet wye to the main stack. The "lav" which I call the vanity sink needs an AAV because I can't go up with a vent due to no walls above and my daughters room above. Hence my deciision to aav with a circuitous drain run. It makes 3 90 deg. Turns but will slope the correct amount. I do understand about about drain sizing, slopes, etc. My big question is can I have 3 drain pipes all parrallel to each other run into a 3" drain pipe all at rt angles...... imagine 3 cars running side by side all needing to turn rt.
I would have 3 90's 1 behind the other so all flow into 1 pipe.. . . Ok 4 margaritas later this is the only way I can describe... Please keep the dialogue going

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

The problem with the drains is not that they are parallel, but that they do not have vents, and that one pipe you call a vent is strictly decorative because it does not vent anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks