Shed chimney/ "flue" leaking (pics)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Greetings friends: I hope this isn't too off topic for this forum. Here's whats going on: I have a potbelly stove in my shed with a 6" standard flue pipe going up through the ceiling. When it enters the attic of the shed, it is double-walled from there on through the roof. (See pics attached
It has been leaking for a few months now so I went into the attic to take a look and I could see daylight in a few pinhole-sized areas around the OUTSIDE perimeter of the double wall. So, are there any options to patch it with some kind of heat tolerant caulk or do I need to tear up the flashing and redo the whole set-up? The shingles are fairly old and if I can avoid opening a can of worms, thats ideal. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1_resize.jpg
    1_resize.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 711
  • 2_resize.jpg
    2_resize.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 481
  • 3_resize.jpg
    3_resize.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 4_resize.jpg
    4_resize.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 456

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
The acids and moisture have "used up" the galvanizing coating.

I would paint the top with "stove paint"

Edit:
I would also cut the shingles back about 1/2 inch on the top side so that the shingles are not in contact with the pipe.

Then paint...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent/flue

If that is conventional class B double wall it is not for use with a wood burning stove in the first place. In fact you should have triple wall pipe with the air spaces between the layers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks