Why toilet flange resting on top of finished floor

Users who are viewing this thread

raymes

Reaction score
Hello:
I have read many inputs advising that a toilet flange should rest on top of the finished floor (if at all possible). Can someone advise why this is?
Is it to ensure a certain amount (height) of the flange is inside the base of the toilet so that ideally only one wax ring is required?

Thanks
Raymes

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It puts the flood plane on top of the floor rather than embedded in it, and provides a shorter bolt length that makes it more stable, and keeps the wax thickness at a more ideal thickness.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
As it stands the wax ring is the weakest joint in the waste system. Anything less than right increases chances of leakage! Leakage can ruin wood!

Need I say more?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

To answer your question, YES. Toilets have varying spaces under them where they attach to the flange. By putting the flange on top of the floor you are assured that even those with a maximum space will still seal with the standard wax ring. IF the flange were not on top of the floor and the conventional wax ring is used, there is a possibility that it would not even come in contact with some toilet's base and thus give no seal at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks