Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Silo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm not really the plumbing or remodeling expert. I am more into computers, but I need to ask a question for my stepdad. I don't know if this is the right place, but if not a moderator / admin can move the topic where it needs to be. :)

My question is, how much water will fit into 10 feet of 1" pipe? Thank you very much! :D

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think I got the answer but I won't bet the farm on it. First, the Area of a circle is Pi x Radius Squared. This is 3.14 x (.5 x .5) = .785 sq inches. .785 x 120 inches (length) = 94.2 cubic inches. There is 231 cubic inches in 1 gallon, so .785/231 = gallons in 10 feet. This is slightly over .4 gallons in 10 feet.:)

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I have a different way to find out but it's about the same

LENGTH PIPE SIZE GALLONS WATER
1 FOOT 1 INCH 0.0339

16 cups in a gallon so it would be 5.42 cups or 694.27 ounces.

That would be based on 1" ID not OD because different pipe have different thickness.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
HJ, on plumbing issues I respect your vast knowledge and experience, but this is in the area of my expertise. Not that this whole topic is worth getting into a heated debate about, but please follow the problem. The question was, how much water would a 10' length of pipe hold. Now, let's not get into inside or outside diameters, that is not really the question. First, we have to figure the area of a 1" circle. The formula for that is: P (3.14) x radius (.5") squared (.25") That equals .785 sq inches. Next, we have to consider the length of the pipe in inches since all of our measurements thus far have been in inches. 10' = 120". That now is multiplied by the area of .785 sq inches and gives us 94.2 cubic inches. The is 231 cubic inches in 1 gallon, so our final problem is 94.2 cubic inches divided by 231 which equals .4077922+ gallons. This is slightly more than 4 gallons of water in a 10' pipe.:)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
volume

Math is also my expertise. Your second response is correct, which is what I also stated. My comment was in regard to your original answer which was:

There is 231 cubic inches in 1 gallon, so .785/231 = gallons in 10 feet.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
:eek: OK, I see what I did. I had the correct answer, I just wrote a very poor sentence. What I was attempting to say was that the answer to .785/231 would be the number of gallons in 10 feet. The last sentence was .4+ cu ft. I'm supposed to be pretty good at writing too, but sometimes my thinking goes faster than my finger type. Do ya think we've beat this dead horse about enough?:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks