Drain pans - good for home, bad for water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

W. H. Trouble

Reaction score
Something I have noticed from time to time is that water heaters in drain pans are rusted on the bottom usually visible around the seam where the outer jacket meets the jacket pan.

If you look at a typical drain pan, particularly where the drainpipe (connector) goes through the side of the pan you’ll notice that the lowest part of the drainpipe is about ¾†above the bottom of the pan. If water should enter the pan, which can happen from expansion or minor leaks, the pan will retain about ¾†of water before it starts to drain out. The water heater can be sitting in water for an indefinite time.

I have repaired (or condemned) propane (don’t know about natural) gas water heaters that due to retained water blocking the combustion chamber fresh air vents have burned so rich that the combustion chamber and flu were heavy with soot causing a fire hazard or at least an unnecessary service call. On the older non-FVIR water heaters this has caused the flame to roll out through the service panel melting the plastic knobs on the control and discoloring the side of the heater. On the FVIR heaters this can cause them to bump the limit and shut down usually requiring a service call.

Also, I have seen water heaters installed on a non-level surface and the makeshift ways that have been used to attempt to level them.

Has anybody else experienced these problems? If so did you come up with a solution for them? Is there a need for a product that would raise and level water heaters?

Thank you, Chris
http://waterheatersinjeopardy-chris.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• DSC00943.JPG reduced.jpg
    DSC00943.JPG reduced.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 225
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks