Question about copper/CPVC union

Users who are viewing this thread

richbl

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm installing a spin-down filter off my 1" copper cold-water line. The filter body is 1" CPVC, and I want to use unions so I can disassemble the set-up for maintenance, access to the pressure tank, etc.

So, here's my question:

Can I take a brass/copper 1" union, toss out the brass MIPT, and marry the brass FIPT to a CPVC MIPT?

I'm aware that, per code, it's not wise to do the converse.

My concern has more to do with expansion of dissimilar materials.

Thanks much.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The filter body is FIPT? I'd use a brass/CPVC transition union -- the seal is made by an internal rubber washer. Then on the CPVC side, just use a male adapter. The pros can elaborate or offer better solutions, probably.

richbl

Reaction score
The filter body is FIPT? I'd use a brass/CPVC transition union -- the seal is made by an internal rubber washer. Then on the CPVC side, just use a male adapter. The pros can elaborate or offer better solutions, probably.

I had originally considered going this route, but for 1" copper, it seems I'm very limited in what I've turned up so far (if you can post a link to the 1" trans union that you recommend, I'd be much obliged).

To clarify, the filter body is CPVC slip (no thread), and I want to transition to copper with the ability to disassemble as needed (the water point-of-entry is right in front of the pressure tank), hence the need for a union. In the best of all worlds, I was looking for a 1" CPVC SPG trans union with brass threads, but I haven't turned up something with that diameter.

Thanks.

richbl

Reaction score
What about a Sharkbite slip fitting?

Honestly, I'm just not a fan of compression...anything. Maybe it's just an irrational thing, but I just don't trust 'em. :)

That said, given that the 1" trans union that I'm looking at runs @$30 (and I need two of them), it might make sense to give these new-fangled fittings a try.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks