New Shower Install Question...

Users who are viewing this thread

LegoMyEgoLess

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm in the midst of a total bathroom renovation and had a question or two for the resident experts :)

My old shower had a single shower head with which I'm looking to replace with a new shower head and separate wand assembly. I'm not fond of the integrated units. I was wondering what the best approach is for such a design. Should I T-off the supply lines to two different mixing valves, or is it recommended (or even possible) to bring the lines to the shower mixing valve, then branch the two new fixtures off of that? Or maybe even a custom mixing valve with multiple outlets.

Dumb question? I can live with that :)

Thanks in advance.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Depends if you want to use one at a time or if you want to have the option to use bith at the same time.

If you want to use one at a time you can use a Pressure Balanced valve with a built-in diverter on the plate.
or
Pressure balanced valve with a seperate diverter valve on the wall.

If you want to them to work at the same time you can use a Thermostatic Valve with two sperate volume contols.

LegoMyEgoLess

Reaction score
So is T'ing the supply lines not an option? I'm asking only because it seems like the simplest way here.

And I do want both to be simultaneously operable.

Thanks for the reply.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Running both all the time is easy, the t will do that. It's when you want to select one or the other or both at the same time. Adding a second complete shower valve is the expensive way to do it. To repeat, you can buy a shower valve that has a divertor built-in, or you could put in a couple of volume controls, and take the output of the mixing valve and control each one independently, or use an external divertor valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks