(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: New Shower Install Question...

  1. #1

    Default New Shower Install Question...

    Hello all. I'm in the midst of a total bathroom renovation and had a question or two for the resident experts

    My old shower had a single shower head with which I'm looking to replace with a new shower head and separate wand assembly. I'm not fond of the integrated units. I was wondering what the best approach is for such a design. Should I T-off the supply lines to two different mixing valves, or is it recommended (or even possible) to bring the lines to the shower mixing valve, then branch the two new fixtures off of that? Or maybe even a custom mixing valve with multiple outlets.

    Dumb question? I can live with that

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale Peanut9199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Ontario, Canada


    Depends if you want to use one at a time or if you want to have the option to use bith at the same time.

    If you want to use one at a time you can use a Pressure Balanced valve with a built-in diverter on the plate.
    Pressure balanced valve with a seperate diverter valve on the wall.

    If you want to them to work at the same time you can use a Thermostatic Valve with two sperate volume contols.

  3. #3


    So is T'ing the supply lines not an option? I'm asking only because it seems like the simplest way here.

    And I do want both to be simultaneously operable.

    Thanks for the reply.

  4. #4
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    Running both all the time is easy, the t will do that. It's when you want to select one or the other or both at the same time. Adding a second complete shower valve is the expensive way to do it. To repeat, you can buy a shower valve that has a divertor built-in, or you could put in a couple of volume controls, and take the output of the mixing valve and control each one independently, or use an external divertor valve.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts