New/tub shower drip problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Thinkly

Reaction score
EDIT: I have concluded that the previous info was incorrect. The tub DOES leak during the entire shower now, not just at the end!

Recently we remodeled our main floor bathroom. We gutted the place and the only thing we left was the whirlpool bath. We tiled around the entire bathtub to create a surround.

Below the tub/bathroom is our unfinished utility room in the basement, so i have some visible access to the bottom of the tub via an 8" X 8" hole cut into the subfloor.

Recently i noticed that there is a small amount of water dripping out of the hole (obviously coming from the shower) at the CONCLUSION of a shower.

I have used a flashlight to monitor the area from below, while someone is showering in it and there are NO leaks. Yet shortly after the shower is turned off, a few drips of water will roll off of the front tub lip directly below the valve/shower head etc.

I obviously can't see the top side of the tub lip from below so I am at a loss to figure out where this water is coming from. The valve and shower is all new, including the water lines and drain.

Why does it only drip at the end of a shower???

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tun

Was the tub intended to be installed in an alcove, meaning did it have a tile lip around 3 sides? IF not, and you did not install the optional tile flange, then that is where the leak is.

Thinkly

Reaction score
Was the tub intended to be installed in an alcove, meaning did it have a tile lip around 3 sides? IF not, and you did not install the optional tile flange, then that is where the leak is.

tub_2824.jpg

furniture-85142103118.jpg

The tub had no sort of flange and i didn't know that it needed one. Before the tub had a plastic surround and come to think of it, i think it leaked in a similar fashion.

Still i wonder why it would just leak AFTER the shower was over. I was wondering if it was the water coming out of the shower pipe that is supposed to be released back into the tub after the valve is turned off.

I did caulk the bottom of the tiles with silicone so would assume water couldn't get back there?

Last edited:

Thinkly

Reaction score
drip367.jpg

(this is a picture before new shower valve was installed)

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Tile and grout should not be considered waterproof and yes, you should have added the optional add-on tiling flange, or bought a tub with one built-in. In addition, behind the cbu, there should be a vapor barrier that should come down over the tiling flange so any moisture that gets behind there can drain into the tub. If the tub is not perfectly level, water will pool and could allow it to leak.

Drips could be from water around the valve or from the shower arm threaded connection, if it leaks a little, it could show up anywhere along the pipe, dripping off of a bump or protrusion.

Another possibility is the tub spout not fully sealed...assuming the divertor is in the tub spout, the additional backpressure could cause a little water to leak out back through the wall. Depending on the length of the shower, it might not accumulate enough to show up until after.

So, there were some installation mistakes that could give long-time problems. One thing that will help is if you wipe the walls down after a shower.

Thinkly

Reaction score
Tile and grout should not be considered waterproof and yes, you should have added the optional add-on tiling flange, or bought a tub with one built-in. In addition, behind the cbu, there should be a vapor barrier that should come down over the tiling flange so any moisture that gets behind there can drain into the tub. If the tub is not perfectly level, water will pool and could allow it to leak.

Drips could be from water around the valve or from the shower arm threaded connection, if it leaks a little, it could show up anywhere along the pipe, dripping off of a bump or protrusion.

Another possibility is the tub spout not fully sealed...assuming the divertor is in the tub spout, the additional backpressure could cause a little water to leak out back through the wall. Depending on the length of the shower, it might not accumulate enough to show up until after.

So, there were some installation mistakes that could give long-time problems. One thing that will help is if you wipe the walls down after a shower.

I appreciate the info. Figured i made some mistakes even though i tried awfully hard not to. I did put up the vapor barrier but the flange is all that i know i am missing.

Here are a couple more pics: Note-Plumber did this install, not me.

caulk555898.jpg

Might need caulked better?

water44line352.jpg

View from bottom of tub spout. This shows that the waterline is not caulked around where it goes through the tile. Also i need to update this post and reflect that the shower NOW leaks all of the time, not just at the end.

Last edited:

Thinkly

Reaction score
I have since concluded that the shower is leaking all of the time while it is on, as opposed to just at the end of the shower. I have also posted a couple of new photos. Does anyone have any comments on the pics I have posted?

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is normal for the spout and the fill valve to have a gap at the bottom. While there should not be any moisture getting behind there, a gap at the bottom would allow any that might a path out so things can dry out.

Might highest probability is without the tiling flange added on, you have a small gap somewhere that is allowing water to get behind and drip out. The second choice is a leaking el fitting where the showerhead arm attaches in the wall.

If that wall is an interior one, you may need to open up the drywall from the back and look around.

Note, if the tub isn't well supported, it can look fine, but when it is filled up with someone standing in it, or you've filled it with water, things can flex and gaps can open up.

Thinkly

Reaction score
UPDATE: Problem was a lack of sufficient caulking. I ran a thicker bead of silicone and shazam! The problem is gone!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks