Airlift or Submersible Well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am finally having a new well put in close to the house and I planned on a 4" submersible well, but when the contractor came out he recommended a airlift well. I am not sure which is a better system. He told me the airlift will have a pump above the groud and a 320 gallon holding tank that has a 1/2 HP pump in it to move water to the house.

My main goal with the new well is volume of water and water pressure. I want to be able to pump around 10gpm with my pressure being around 40.

Please let me know the pros and cons of these systems and what you all think is best. Price is almost the same so I am not factoring that into the decision.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Other than testing and developing a well, Airlifting is a new term to me. Can you elaborate on what this guy intends to do?

bob...

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I am not finding it on the net either.

So this is what he told me.

He will drill me well about 190 feet, the pump will be above ground and a pressure tank attached. Told me it is better because I can kick all the parts since they will be on the surface. The he connect the system to a 320 gallon holding tank that has a 1/2 hp pump in the actual tank to push the water to our house.

This help?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Sounds like he's installing a shallow well or deep well jet pump on the well to feed a cistern then installing a submersible pump in the cistern to pressurize the house. Why two Pumps??? Two Tanks??? Makes no sense to me. You might want to have him draw a diagram so you can post it here.

bob...

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
I think that is exactly what he is doing. I am not 100% he was going to use two tanks, but I am sure it was a jet well that feed a tank. Then he was using a sub pump in the large holding tank for the house.

Do you think this is cheaper than a 4" well and that is why he is trying to get me to swap? I mean cheaper for him.

He is 76 years old and a serious character. Nice guy, but I have learned long ago not to trust people when it comes to business.

A 4" will give more volume than this setup?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Either he knows something I don't or he doesn't have the equipment to do a larger well for you. One Pump and Tank are always better than two as long as the well can supply enough water for your home.

I would get some other opinions.

bob...

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
He has the gear to drill the well. I know him through a family member, so I know he can do it. I am just trying to figure out if a submersible is a better way to go.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I know he has the gear, but is he drilling a 4" or a smaller hole??? I would not advise anyone to drill anything smaller than a 4" well these days.

bob...

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with the contractor.

He said it is a 2" well that uses an air compressor to move the water from the well to the holding tank. There is also a pressure tank in there but I forgot to ask if that is connected to the well then the holding tank to it or the other way around. So one compressor that uses air to lift the water and a 1/2 hp submersible pump in the holding tank.

Telling me he puts in over 100 of these systems every year.

What you think?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think you still need another estimate and opinion. I would never have a 2" well drilled for any reason.

bob...

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Why is it so bad to go with a 2" these days? Forgive me for not knowing.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can't get a real pump in 2" casing. That is what all the air lift stuff is about. You need 4" minimum and 5" is better to get a good submersible pump down there. All the stuff being on the surface is not necessarily a good thing with a deep well.

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Here is the setup.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d140/nitrors4/Air Lift Well/

I went this way since we have so much iron in the water and this removes 97%.

It pumps a crazy amount of water out of the well. Filled up my holding tank in 15 min.

It also keeps the pressure between 65 - 75 psi. Crazy!

Oh and all the equipment is easy to work on and cheap to replace.

Now we will see if the test of times makes me love or hate it. :p

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Now that is pretty cool! I can see where it would be great with iron in the water. I guess there is regular submersible pump in the storage tank that is giving you the 65-75 PSI for the house?

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, 1/2 hp pump in the tank. I cannot wait to see how many gpm that system can do. Will try to test it this weekend when I am getting everything hooked up.

I know the driller threw a family member so I took the plunge and trusted him.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not really sure I know what I just saw. Is that an Aerator or what?

Is that cement I see in the top of your Well Casing? They make Well Seals for that.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is 2" casing, so that 6" has to be just a surface casing. Would have to cement it in to keep the air from trying to lift the 2" casing out of the hole. The whole well is now an aerator. Now if he would just use a Cycle Stop Valve and a much smaller pressure tank for the booster system, you would have "constant pressure" as well.

Now is that an "oil less" air compressor? I can't tell from the picture.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I am concerned about the water quality and the maintenance on this air lift way of getting the water out of the well.

You don't say how much iron is in the water but any will cause rust (ferric iron) build up in the black holding tank; the higher the iron content, the more rust in the tank. And if there is any IRB etc., it will probably thrive in the black tank. So how do you clean and disinfect it?

The compressor looks like one from a big box or auto parts store and it probably is not intended or approved for potable water use (oil less etc.).

The air may cause bacterial growth in the well. The hot air from a compressor is a concern and the water in the black tank is going to get fairly hot, and that is great for bacteria growth.

Nitrors4

DIY Member
Reaction score
Yes it is like an Aerator. Same concept I think. I could use a Windmill instead of the compressor if I wanted.

2" casing with a 1/2" pipe down it to push the air to 160 feet.

Yes the larger pipe is only for strength.

Nope it is an oil compressor, which is my only real issue with the setup. I may swap it out with oil less unit and keep that one for around the house or resell it.

Don't know the exact number, but enough to color sinks and toilets.

He told me to drop off a chlorine tablet every 4 - 6 months.

A 4" submersible system probably would have been easier to deal with, but I wanted to give this a try. If I does not work well I will use it for my live stock and irrigation and put another will on the other side of the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks