dehumidifier tie in to basement dwv with primer valve

Users who are viewing this thread

NovicePiper

Not a Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hi - I need a floor drain in the furnace room somewhere nr the hot water tank... I need to attach the two pipes to either the dwv or into the new floor drain setup - whichever is code!?

1) Do i need a vent for this proposed floor drain.?
2) Also, should I install sometype of primer to the floor drain to keep the trap sealed?

any advice would be appreciated :D-

I will post a pic tomorrow:eek:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I am not a plumber and I do not have any answers for you but I would like to know the answers.

Since all traps need to be vented I would think that floor drains would also need to be vented yet I don't think I have seen this done. I have seen a lot of floor drains and many of them were in the middle of a floor and therefore quite some distance from any vent.

I've also seen quite a few trap primers in industrial locations and they all seemed to be discharging a huge amount of water at a constant rate, probably a half a cup a minute. Such a flow rate would be in the neighborhood of fifty gallons a day and that would be a heck of a lot of water in a residence. I sure wouldn't want that in my house. I found that throttling back the flow on these trap primers to just a fast drip would often completely stop in a couple of days thereby defeating the purpose of the trap primer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks