Floor Tile Question

Users who are viewing this thread

DKRS

Reaction score
Installing a tile floor in a complete remodel.
Is it better to tile the entire floor then set the vanity cabinet or install the vanity and tile around it ?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tile

It is definitely easier to put the tile under the edges of the sink location first, (you do not have to tile the entire area), and then put the cabinet in place, rather than have to cut all the pieces to fit around it.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are on a slab, you may want to tile under the entire vanity. Should you have a leak you don't want to create a lake.

My personal preference is to tile the entire floor. If I'm working with expensive tiles, I'll switch to cheap ones for larger out if sight areas.

Paul

wwilson1

Reaction score
hj said:
It is definitely easier to put the tile under the edges of the sink location first, (you do not have to tile the entire area), and then put the cabinet in place, rather than have to cut all the pieces to fit around it.
I'm in the same boat, and want to make sure I understand your suggestion. You are saying it is easier to go ahead and tile the floor and run the tile into the area where the vanity cabinet will sit such that the vanity will sit on top of the tile that is running up to and maybe a few inches under the kickplate? My vanity will meet the wall on the left and back, is there a problem with not supporting the back and left side? - since the front and right edges will be taller (sitting on tile) then the rest of the un-tiled portion under the vanity?
Thanks, Wayne

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need something under the edges of the vanity all around. Most vanities are not that big, so it doesn't cost thatmuch to tile under it entirely. That also makes it easier if you decide to ever replace the vanity and it is a slightly different size - matching tile later on is nearly impossible. Now, if you were using $80/sqft onyx or something, that would be imprudent :)

wwilson1

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
You need something under the edges of the vanity all around. Most vanities are not that big, so it doesn't cost thatmuch to tile under it entirely. That also makes it easier if you decide to ever replace the vanity and it is a slightly different size - matching tile later on is nearly impossible. Now, if you were using $80/sqft onyx or something, that would be imprudent :)
I started thinking I may want to replace the floor some day (this is my 1st tile project) so...would it be more prudent to tile up to the vanity, and if my tile job goes south I can take it out w/o having to pull the vanity out? Since this is DIY; time consuming processes - like cutting tile around the vanity is not a major concern. Or is the process of taking out the tile going to require pulling out the vanity even if the tile does not run under the edge of the vanity? BTW I got the tile on clearance for no more than a few dollars/sq.ft.
Thanks for the help.
Wayne

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can do it eitherway. I prefer the cleaner look of the tile going under the vanity. My thought is if you are going to replace the floor, you probably will want to replace the vanity, too, so I wouldn't worry about tile or not under it with that in mind. My unprofessional opinion...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks