New Service Panel Question

Users who are viewing this thread

jparrie

Automotive Locksmith
Reaction score
I'm installing a new 200A Service panel while remodeling. This unit has 42 slots, but there is no way that there are enough knockouts for even half that many cicuits. Does the NEC alow doubling or even tippling up on the nm romex through each knockout opening? Secure them all to framing within 8" of the service? Any derating required?

TIA

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Does the NEC alow doubling or even tippling up on the nm romex through each knockout opening? Yes. It depends on the rating of the connector. Most allow at least two cables.

Secure them all to framing within 8" of the service? 12" is code.

Any derating required? No.
This message was too short so I made this white.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
This is for Arlington NM connectors only.
c1_841im.jpg

http://www.aifittings.com/c_19.htm

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Pretty much every NM connector that looks like that will accept at least two cables of varying sizes.

You have to look at the label or instructions.

Marv

Reaction score
Two wires in every hole (12 & 14 gauge). In our county we can use the yellow or grey plastic fittings. Very easy to use.

Marv

Reaction score
I'm not sure who makes them, just go to home depot and look for the plastic inserts by the metal connectors. They're fast and quick and hold the wire great.

Marv

Reaction score
I've used the second one. I've also used the yellow ones that are similar (and the yellow with double inputs).

Last edited:

KD

Reaction score
If your inspector allows you to use grommets they must be stapled within 8 inches of the box. Some allow lots of cables going thru one big grommet. Others say one cable--one hole.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
If your inspector allows you to use grommets they must be stapled within 8 inches of the box. Some allow lots of cables going thru one big grommet. Others say one cable--one hole.

Its a code violation to just use a grommet... even if you do staple within 8" of the box...

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Others say one cable--one hole.
Also, "others" CANNOT simply say that. They must be able to back it up with a written code citation, which in this case they probably could not do.
MOST NM connectors ARE rated for more than one cable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks