Natural Gas Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

figs

Reaction score
Project Location: Surprise, Arizona
Gas Company: Southwest Gas

About two years ago, I had a gas piping company install PE pipe for a fireplace and two fire pits. Currently, the gas pipe is stubbed up at the gas meter, at the fireplace, and at each fire pit. The stubs at the fireplace and fire pits have key valves attached. The stub at the gas meter is just capped off. The gas pipe was inspected, but I never called the gas company to hook it up to the gas meter as I was going to call them when the construction of the fireplace and fire pits was complete. Well, the project was delayed for numerous reasons and this summer I am planning on starting construction.:mad:

So, my questions for the pros are...

Will the gas company require a reinspection before hooking the new pipe to the gas meter since the inspection took place nearly two year ago?

Am I okay to proceed since the project was on hold for nearly two years?

Thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are asking a generic question expecting specific answers. Local regulations will apply, so you should call or drop by the gas company and find out what their requirements are. It's their ball park so they get to set the ground rules. Of course you have a choice. You can like it or not.:D

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where I live, a building permit is only good for a year, unless extended (with good reasons). But, it sounds like the rough-in was inspected. Best place to ask is the building department.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

Here, once the gas gets to the gas meter it is your responsibility to hire a plumber to connect it to the gas meter, the utility does not do it. Assuming the gas meter is unlocked and supplying gas to some functioning appliance, the plumber then turns the gas back on and lights any pilots.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas Gas Gas

It is amazing how many answers can be found by a simple phone call or two
go straight to the source call southwest gas they will tell you yes or no ! !

this is controlled by the Federal gov. because of inter- state transport of gas ! !
so the only opinion that counts is southwest gas :D

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
"this is controlled by the Federal gov. because of inter- state transport of gas",
specifically, the Department of Transportation or DOT. They got the duty because the original gas and petroleum lines that traveled across state lines were placed on railroad right of ways and owned by subsidiaries of those railroads.
Because the different jurisdictions I work in have different pressure requirements for testing buried polyethylene gas pipe, I took it upon myself to do a little research on the matter. I contacted the tech dept of one of the manufacturers of these products and asked them what is the proper test pressure. They referred me to a DOT paper that mandated all buried HDPE pipe be tested at 50 psi, not 10 psi (standard for screwed steel pipe) or 60 psi (standard for welded steel pipe).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

I didn't notice it was in Surprise. SW gas does not connect anything after the meter. You need a plumber to make the connection. What happens after that depends on whether the meter is locked or functioning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks