A/C overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

Marilyn K

Reaction score
My airconditioner is draining into the secondary overflow pipe. What could be causing the system to not use the primary?

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Drain line

Your primary line is probably clogged up with debris. If you want to try it, you can take off one of the side panels on the unit, and see what’s blocking the drain line. Make sure you turn off the unit first. You can use a shop vac to blow out the line (from the outside), but I would first try and blow the clog up to the unit, so you don’t lodge the debris into the line, by sucking it at first.
Make sure you take care of this problem as soon as you can, because if the second line gets clogged up the water will over flow and soak your drywall, (if your unit is in the attic).

Mike

Marilyn K

Reaction score
One more question

I just noticed that the primary overflow is dripping. It seems that the secondary drips when the unit has been on for a long time. Any other thoughts?

Thank you!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The main line may not be totally blocked, and on a humid day, the overflow makes it to the secondary...still think you need to clean out the drain line. Normally, if the main line is running free, it can handle all of the condensate.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to clean out the line pronto. You can use a little snake from the inside or the outside. You can also use compressed air. If working from the outside end, watch out for the deluge when you finally break through the blockage. That water can be very foul-smelling.

If using compressed gas, don't ever let go of the hose, or you can really hurt yourself.

They also make tablets that you can put in the drain pan to help dissolve mineral deposits.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks