Toilet flange replacement (PVC in slab)

Users who are viewing this thread

Txaggie

Reaction score
Hello pro's,

I have tried the search feature and couldn't find anything to match my problem.

My flange cracked when replacing the wax ring, I got a replacement flange from Lowe's (should fit inside 3 and 4 inch waste pipe).

I have a slight gap all the way around the inside of the waste pipe (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 all around) and the toilet is not flushing very effectively. We have had the toilet stop up several times.

I have seen that there are some replacement flanges with a rubber gasket but where could I find one of these? I suspect my waste line is 4 inch

Thankful for any suggestions...

Stefan :confused:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I doubt that the flange is the cause of the poor flush.
More likely, it's the bowl itself.

There is a wide range of performance among toilets.
Or there may be something lodge in the trapway preventing a good siphon.

As long as the new flange is sealed, either by gluing or with a sealant, and is secured to the floor, it should work.

Txaggie

Reaction score
Hi Terry,

Thanks for your response, I think that might be part of the problem, the new flange is screwed down to the concrete slab but I am not sure if that is sealed enough or if air is leaking out between the new flange and the waste pipe as the gap is so big.

I agree that there is a lot of difference in toilet performance and this is probably on the low end of toilets so maybe that is my problem, I removed the toilet today and ran water straight in to the drain and there is no problem or blockages. I also ran checked the toilet itself, there seems to be quite a severe turn/bend in the toilet before it hits the drain, I also believe that this is one of them "Economy" flush toilets not using a lot of water with each flush i.e. Low preassure..

Maybe I need me one of them "Tim the tool man Taylor" toilets with 5hp :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

The flange screwed to the floor is the suspender to the "belt and suspenders" theory. It MUST be sealed to the pipe. That is the main way it is secured and it is the "belt". There is no question about whether 1/8" or 1/4" is letting air escape. NO air can escaper. Air escaping is not the cause of the toilet not flushing but it will be the cause of sewer gas in the room.

Txaggie

Reaction score
Thanks,

Then back to my original question, neither HD or Lowes seems to carry a replacement flange in the 4" size, where can I find such a flange, is it only sold in specialty stores for plumbers? I have also checked other hw stores without any luck...

If it helps I am in the Dallas Forth Worth area and I suspect it should be available I just need to be pointed in the proper direction :)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are flanges that will fit inside 4" PVC. They fit snug, but you must glue them anyway. Be very sure you orient the flange when gluing it in, otherwise your toilet might fit sideways! After it is glued in place, anchor it with stainless steel screws into the into the sub floor. I trust you know that the flange is to set firmly on top of the finished floor. After getting the flange in place, set the toilet in place without a wax ring to verify that it contacts the floor all the way around and does not rock. If it does not contact the floor or if it rocks, you must shim it until it is solid so figure out what you need for shims, put the wax ring in place and set the toilet on the wax ring. Then put the shims in place, caulk, and you're go to go.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's better to leave the shims in place when doing the final set of the toilet with the wax. The rocking it could do between pushing it down onto the wax, then jacking it to put in the shims can compromise the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks