Best Thread Technique / Pipe Dope

Users who are viewing this thread

Roback

Reaction score
Well, I ripped out the reducing valve, per my posts, and got it together and the male extension that threads into the valve is leaking slightly. What a pain. I have to cut the piping and resweat some copper. I used a Hercules product. I usually use a combination of Teflon tape and Slik-Tite. I believed the hype about the Hercules pipe dope with kevlar! Any suggestions to get a water tight seal when screwing a copper thread into brass. What do you guys use, do? Only thing I can think of is that I did not stir up the dope enough prior to using. Maybe it was too thin?

Roback

Reaction score
Slow Setting?

I have noticed that many of the thread pastes say "slow setting." What does that mean? Is it possible that if a connection leaks slightly just after connected and water service turned on, it might stop leaking at some point when the paste sets? I do remember a connection I made a while ago and initially it leaked and then at some point just stopped?

plumb.bob.down

Reaction score
Website
www.artcoenterprises.com
I don't think that if the constant water pressure is seeping through the threads, it would quit leaking. . .I think the slow-setting means that if it doesn't leak, it will bond almost like teflon tape does over a period of time.

A lot of times, when we do trap-primers underground on floor drains, we teflon tape 'em, then add the TFE paste.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Kevlar? Who needs a bulletproof joint? If a joint is leaking and then stops it is because it corroded, not because the joint compound finally stopped it. Most joint compounds and properly tightening the joint result in tight connections. It is when you start using a formula, such as "hand tight and two extra turns," that you wind up with leaking connections.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Teflon tape

This may sound like common knowledge but…make sure when you wrap the male threads with the Teflon tape, that you put in on clockwise, (if your looking at the front of the threaded end section). I always put on a lot of the white tape, (more then I think is needed) and then just be careful that you don’t cross thread it at the start. I have used a pink Teflon tape before, for loose connections, but I haven’t’ seen it at Home Depot lately, (just the white and the yellow gas tape).

Mike

Roback

Reaction score
Tape and Slik Tite Solved It

Shoulda known, that switching from my routine would screw things up. No pun intended :) I reassembled with slik tite and plenty o telflon tape and my problem is solved. Now, I can't figure why my solder balled up when putting some of the pipes back together. Not hot enough, water in the pipes?, too much flux, not enough heat etc. etc.? It isn't leaking now, but .....? This was wierd, but it is okay for now, so I don't want to mess with it. Anyone have anything like this happen?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks