(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Best Thread Technique / Pipe Dope

Default Best Thread Technique / Pipe Dope

Well, I ripped out the reducing valve, per my posts, and got it together and the male extension that threads into the valve is leaking slightly. What a pain. I have to cut the piping and resweat some copper. I used a Hercules product. I usually use a combination of Teflon tape and Slik-Tite. I believed the hype about the Hercules pipe dope with kevlar! Any suggestions to get a water tight seal when screwing a copper thread into brass. What do you guys use, do? Only thing I can think of is that I did not stir up the dope enough prior to using. Maybe it was too thin?

I generally use Harvey's TFE Paste on everything.

It's slow-setting pipe thread compound for threads on any kind of material.

Default Slow Setting?

I have noticed that many of the thread pastes say "slow setting." What does that mean? Is it possible that if a connection leaks slightly just after connected and water service turned on, it might stop leaking at some point when the paste sets? I do remember a connection I made a while ago and initially it leaked and then at some point just stopped?

I don't think that if the constant water pressure is seeping through the threads, it would quit leaking. . .I think the slow-setting means that if it doesn't leak, it will bond almost like teflon tape does over a period of time.

A lot of times, when we do trap-primers underground on floor drains, we teflon tape 'em, then add the TFE paste.

Default leak

Kevlar? Who needs a bulletproof joint? If a joint is leaking and then stops it is because it corroded, not because the joint compound finally stopped it. Most joint compounds and properly tightening the joint result in tight connections. It is when you start using a formula, such as "hand tight and two extra turns," that you wind up with leaking connections.

Default Teflon tape

This may sound like common knowledge butÖmake sure when you wrap the male threads with the Teflon tape, that you put in on clockwise, (if your looking at the front of the threaded end section). I always put on a lot of the white tape, (more then I think is needed) and then just be careful that you donít cross thread it at the start. I have used a pink Teflon tape before, for loose connections, but I havenítí seen it at Home Depot lately, (just the white and the yellow gas tape).

Mike

Teflon tape and Slik-Tite is a good combination, it's never failed me.

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Best Pipe Thread

Double Above

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Default Tape and Slik Tite Solved It

Shoulda known, that switching from my routine would screw things up. No pun intended I reassembled with slik tite and plenty o telflon tape and my problem is solved. Now, I can't figure why my solder balled up when putting some of the pipes back together. Not hot enough, water in the pipes?, too much flux, not enough heat etc. etc.? It isn't leaking now, but .....? This was wierd, but it is okay for now, so I don't want to mess with it. Anyone have anything like this happen?