Thinking smart about plumbing design...

Users who are viewing this thread

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems to me plumbing is the way it has been forever and no one ever thinks about redesigning things for problems which happen again and again and again...

How about this...

Drain traps get clogged all the time. How about a shut off valve at the drain and a water pipe connected below the valve to the drain with another valve (and backflow preventer of course).

So drain gets clogged, close drain pipe with valve, then open water valve and the water pressure instantly cleans/flushes the drain!

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Few comments:

Backflow preventers are expensive and need to be regularly tested. You would probably want just one for your "trap flushing system" which means you need more piping. Expensive.

Properly designed plumbing systems without improper disposal of wastewater (with grease, hair, food, small toys, cement, etc) should not clog.

Most DWV systems are not designed for pressure applications. Should your clog be really bad, you'll likely blow the P trap right off the plumbing. What a mess. If your clog is downstream, you'll start backing up in to other fixtures, or out your vent, etc.

If it's not too bad, you might just push the clog furthur down stream. The best way to remove clogs are generally mechanical methods.

Jason

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
idea

If the clog is in the right place and tight enough, all your "invention" would do is force water up the vent and over to the lowest connection or onto the roof, just like a drain blow bag will. Well, it would do one other thing, increase the cost of the plumbing installation dramatically, since ever drain would need a valve, a water connection, and an approved backflow prevention device. However, you would also have to know how the piping is installed before using it, because if two or more drains are connected to the same stopped up pipe, the water will backflush out of their backflow preventers and flood the place, especially if you shut off their valves beforehand.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Tooth brushes, toys, face cloths, Etc. will not dislodge with water.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
About a week after installing a wc some time ago, I got a stoppage call. The owner was home when I got there so he witnessed my surprise when I pulled the toilet, turned it over and found a banana peel lodged in the outlet. He looked at me and admitted that he was the offending party. Just another day in paradise.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Seems to me plumbing is the way it has been forever and no one ever thinks about redesigning things for problems which happen again and again and again...

How about this...

Drain traps get clogged all the time. How about a shut off valve at the drain and a water pipe connected below the valve to the drain with another valve (and backflow preventer of course).

So drain gets clogged, close drain pipe with valve, then open water valve and the water pressure instantly cleans/flushes the drain!

The only time I see a trap clogged is when it is full of grease. Home owners always think it is the trap.
About a week after installing a wc some time ago, I got a stoppage call. The owner was home when I got there so he witnessed my surprise when I pulled the toilet, turned it over and found a banana peel lodged in the outlet. He looked at me and admitted that he was the offending party. Just another day in paradise.
More time to pull the toilet = more money for the plumber. Plus you get to show the home owner playing with a banana on the toilet is a bad idea. Plus It would be a real shame to scratch a nice new toilet.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
I've owned 2 homes over the last 15 years and lived in 3 different apartments. I think I've had one clogged drain ever. Hardly worth the effort and cost of having some fancy doo-dad on every single drain in all those locations.

Simple = better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks