How much PEX vs. Copper?

Users who are viewing this thread

lenoxlover

Reaction score
Website
www.lenoxtools.com
Approximately how many feet of PEX would I need for a new construction, 2,000 sq. ft house with 2.5 bath, kitchen and laundry? How does that compare to the amount of copper that I would need?

Thanks in advance!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Approximately how many feet of PEX would I need for a new construction, 2,000 sq. ft house with 2.5 bath, kitchen and laundry?
That question is like asking, " What color was George Washington's horse?"

It all depends on where the services are and how close the bath, kitchen and laundry rooms are.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
PEX/copper

Depending on how you do it, you could need the same amount of PEX as you would copper. But the size of the house has nothing to do with the amount of piping you need. The two baths could be at opposite ends of the house or back to back, so the amount of tubing would be vastly different.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
That question is like asking, " What color was George Washington's horse?"
QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it was white, but I don't see how it relates to his question .... :confused:

Like it was already said, it really depends on how the house is laid out. Could vary depending on if you home run it or run it like the copper is typically run.

Jason

Enosez

Reaction score
Approximately how many feet of PEX would I need for a new construction, 2,000 sq. ft house with 2.5 bath, kitchen and laundry? How does that compare to the amount of copper that I would need?

Thanks in advance!

Two feet of PEX. That is to say your two feet installing it!:rolleyes:

TorontoTim

Reaction score
At the root of the question is pex vs. copper - why would there be any real difference in the overall linear feet of material regardless of which you use?

Sure, I guess pex allows you to literally cut some corners, but how much would that save you in the end? 15% or so?

Is there any significant difference in the amount of material required when you use pex vs. copper?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
px/copper

If the installation is done conventionally, then PEX and copper use approximately the same quantity. Using a PEX manifold system will require substantially more PEX because every faucet has to run back to the manifold regardless of how close it is to another faucet. So the answer to the original question is that PEX will use the same or more, never less, than copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks