Adding Vent lines

Users who are viewing this thread

SavannahPL

Reaction score
I have a house built in 1920 and I have a few questions I need some advice on. The upstairs and downstairs bathrooms mirror each other and are stacked on top of each other. Both bathrooms are currenlty gutted.

The upstairs tub, sink and toilet drain into a 4-inch cast iron stack which vents through the roof. The tub and sink drain lines ran under the upstairs bathroom floor to the cast iron pipe in notches they cut out of the floor joists.

The downstairs tub, sink and toilet tie into the same cast iron stack as the upstairs but in the crawl space.

The 4-inch cast iron stack is currently the only vent for the two bathrooms and I want to fix this.

My plan was to tie the upstairs and downstairs sinks together on a run of 2-inch pvc and the same for both tubs, each with vent lines running into the attic. I have read For Pros by Pros Remodel plumbing and have a decent understanding of how to vent the system but my main question is below:

1. As no previous drain lines have been run in the walls can I cut the holes necessary to run 2-inch pipe through the floor and top plate?

The wall in question is between floor joists but I'm concerned, due to my own inexperience that this could cause structural issue. Am I wrong?

2. Is 2-inch PVC sufficient size to drain two tubs?
3. Can I use AAVs in the attic on both the tub and sink vent lines?

I planned on replacing the portion of the 4-inch cast iron that's been wet for the last 80+ year but leave the upper portion going through the metal roof. So using AAVs would allow me to do this otherwise I need to take out the entire run so I can tie the tub and sink vents into it.

THank you for any advice you can give

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
2 inch is an adequate vent. AAV are not popular with a lot of plumbers, due to questions about long term reliability. They are not accepted by code in lots of places, but if they are accepted in your area, then that is one way to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks