Cable tool or bore drill? 5 inch pvc or 4 inch steel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Barnes

Reaction score
I live in a area where it is hard to get water. Lower michigan. I have been told that my property is on top of shale. Very heavy clay. Some newer wells in the area are low producers. My current 3 inch well that I posted about yeasterday can barely keep up. (Can't wash dishes or run laundry when somebody is taking a shower) Would like to get enough water to water the garden so I am probably lookin at getting a new well. The question is what type is best for my area? I have heard cable tool is better because it fragments the rock layers letting more water in. Then other pple tell me to go with a 5inch pvc. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Shawn.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Cable tool and Rotary both have their advantages and dis-advantages. Rotary can go through rock easier than Cable tool (Some rock is just too hard for Cable tool drilling) Cable tool drives the pipe first which makes it tighter fitting in the soil. Rotary puts a big hole in the soil then a smaller casing which is supposedly filled with cement all the way around??? Leakage can occur from surface water.

I am from Lower Michigan and have drilled in many places in the State and don't know of anywhere that it is hard to get water. That's not to say there are no spots that are that way, it just that this would be the exception not the rule. There are screened wells and rock wells in Michigan. For the rock variety the Rotary would probably be best, Cable tool would be safer for a screened well, but not necessarily better.

Rotary's are taking over Cable tool rigs rapidly. You may have a better selection of drillers with Rotary's.

bob...

Barnes

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I live in southern Coldwater township. Never had well trouble untill I moved here. My neighbor accross the road just had a new well drilled last year. House is only around 12 or so years old. All my neighbors that I have talked to say it is hard to get water. My mom lives about 10 miles away and has a 4 inch 60 ft well that she put in back in 78 and has never done anything to it besides replace the pressure tank twice. And she waters a big garden every year! Lots of gpm. The control box says Goulds pumps on it . Probably the one I am gonna go with.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have a friend who switched from drinking beer to drinking Mountain Dew, because his favorite driver switched sponsors this way. Now that is dedication to the sport! I'll bet a lot of you even know which driver I am talking about. I guess if your favorite driver drives for Goulds, you should be happy to spend the extra bucks for a Goulds pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks