Hot water flow stops abruptly

Users who are viewing this thread

froddan

Reaction score
I have a strange situation going on with my hot water in the kitchen and a next-door 1/4 bath.
After running the water for a little while (sometimes less than 30 seconds) the hot water stops flowing. If I run only cold water, there is never a problem. If I put the water to a mix of hot-cold, or only hot, it generally stops after a while. When I turn off the water, and then try again, the flow comes back, but stops again.
This problem only occurs in the kitchen sink, and in the nearby bathroom. All other sinks, shower and tub work perfectly fine.
It used to make a sometimes loud sound when the water stopped, but now it just stops flowing abruptly and quietly.
Any idea of what is going on?

Please help!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If you have a 2 handle faucet, your hot water washer may be loose or there may be something in your hot water supply tube.

froddan

Reaction score
The kitchen faucet is a one-handle arm that turns up-down-left-right.
The bathroom which also has the problems sometimes has a faucet with two knobs that turn.

Thanks!

froddan

Reaction score
I don't think so...not that I'm aware of.
I haven't done any work on the plumbing in either of those two rooms.

The dishwasher, which is in between the bathroom sink and the toilet sink may also cause some of the problems...

froddan

Reaction score
Solved or improved...

Ok, I'm not sure if this easy fix actually solved the problem or not, but I turned the hot water shut-off valve to its maximum opening, and the water flowed well after that. I only tested for a few minutes, but at least it improved it quite a bit.

I'm crossing my fingers that this will take care of it.
I've read about dishwasters and water stopping hard, which sometimes makes noice. I guess some sort of air-trap will take care of that...

Thanks!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the shutoff is barely open, on a hot feed, as the heat expands things, it could shut it off. This typically won't happen with the 1/4-turn ball valves.

If you have a water hammer from the dishwasher, then adding a hammer arrestor should solve that problem. SOmething like this http://www.siouxchief.com/Frm_MS.cfm would likely work. I'd also replace the shutoff valve at the same time with a 1/4-turn ball valve. The link gets you to their home page (it should have gone to the product), search on hammer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks