Americast tub with surround

Users who are viewing this thread

MerHenri

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My husband and I are doing a complete remodel of our bathroom, equipped with complete replacements of the water supply lines, the drainage lines and the stack. Our plumber has done a bang-up job so far (and quickly!), and b/c of that, I trust his opinion.

That said, we have chosen to go with an Amercian Standard Americast tub (Princeton), measuring 17.5" deep, 30" wide. The plumber wasn't thrilled with the choice, much to our dismay. Then he was even less thrilled when we told him we were going with a surround, as opposed to tiling the tub walls. (Side note - we can't tile b/c we are doing a pocket door and have been told by several carpenters that the pocket door wall cannot support the weight of the tile in the tub.)

The surround we purchased is made by SwanTile, and we ordered it through Home Depot.

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience or issues with either the Americast tub or this kind of surround, and if so, has anyone ever used them together? Plumber thinks this opens us up for leaks, although my experience with tile and leaks has been rather worrisome!

Appreciate any feedback you can give ...
Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Americast tubs are excellent.

Is your surround a fibrglass/acrylllic product? That will not be as long lasting or easy to clean as tile.

I do agree that the flimsy wall you end up with on a pocket door would not be good for tile

MerHenri

Reaction score
surround material

Thanks, jimbo. The surround is made of veritek. I know tile will last longer, but we have a very small bathroom, and I'd rather have the extra space with a pocket door and a surround than less space and tile that will last and last. We always have trade-offs, don't we?

Anything I should warn the plumber about regarding the installation of the tub? I've read that many plumbers use a mortar base, but that this will void the american standard warranty. He should know this, especially if he reads the instructions, but I know how men sometimes "read" ... ;)

Thanks again for your opinions!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
surround

I would go with a cultured marble or other solid surface material before I would use a prefab surround. Thin surrounds are notorious for warping and delaminating from the wall after a period of time.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If I recall, there is a sticker right on the front apron of the Americast warning not to use the mortar bed.

americast-tub-instructions-1.jpg

Mortar is now fine to use
2/28/2019

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks