3 inch well casing. submersible/packer/?

Users who are viewing this thread

Barnes

Reaction score
I have a 3 inch well that is 68 ft. deep in a 5 foot pit. It has a shallow well pump on it now that produces around 2 gallons per minute. It has been set up this way since I have lived here for 5 years. At some point it the past I think it was set up with a deep well pump because I found a two pipe jet and some pipes on the property. The previous owners had problems with the well as I found spent shotgun casings in the well pit. When I moved in 5 years ago the pump repeatedly lost prime but I added another 10 ft. of drop pipe and it works ok now except for the slow water flow. I would like to convert back to a deep well set up to increase flow but I have a couple problems. One is that the same people that shot the well also lost a drop pipe down the well so I would have to fish that out. Second problem is that the well is an estimated 40 to 60 years old and a 3 inch submersible/packer/two pipe jet may not fit due to the mineral content of the water and likely encrustation of the caseing. I was thinking of possibly droping a two inch pipe down with a two inch packer jet inside of that? The area that my property is on is known for being very hard to get water on. Clay on top of shale. Some newer wells in the area only produce 2 or 3 gallons per minute. So I am hesitant to invest a lot of money into a new well. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
If this well is screened, that would account for the low flow. If not, it may have always been a low producer. A two pipe jet for a three inch well doesn't do much better than 2-5 gpm anyhow and a packer jet will probably not work because of the casing and the possibility of holes in same.

Since you have a shallow well jet on it now, you already have the best of all worlds for your situation. IT will outperform either of the jets that go into the well.

Your pretty much getting all your going to get now.

I forgot about the shotgun shells. It must be a screened well and the screen is probably hopelessly plugged by now.

bob...

Barnes

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the advise. I will probably abandon this well and drill a new one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks