Anyone used this dryer vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

pitteach

Reaction score
I'm installing a 2nd floor gas dryer and running the vent out a wall. This tends to be a prevailing wind side of the house. I'm trying to avoid outside air infiltration and the vent damper constantly flapping with the wind. My concern with this thing is that it might clog with lint. Tell me what you think.

http://home.comcast.net/~mtyrol/dryer_vent.pdf

Enosez

Reaction score
Never used it but it sure looks ugly.

Looks like the air cleaner assembly on mack trucks.

Is running it out of another wall an option?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Someone once suggested putting small stick on magnets on the dryer vent flaps such that it magnetically closes when not running. You could try that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've looked at one in the store...HD used to sell them; not sure if they still do. The flow is fairly smooth, so not much for lint to catch. If I remember, they are also paintable, so that would hide things. It should be good for sealing out both air intrusion and vermin. Painted the siding color, it should not be too obtrusive. Because of the upward sweep, condensation might run back down the pipe rather than drip out. At the end of a dryer cycle, there shouldn't be much left, and during the earlier cycle, the heat should re-evaporate any, so I don't think that would normally be a problem. As with any dryer, use smooth metal ducts, not the wire reinforced flexible stuff and the flow should be good and not trap lint.

pitteach

Reaction score
I guess I'll be the guinea pig on this one. I'm going to give it a try and if I don't like it, I'll replace it. I'll keep you posted.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
As soon as they say it will reduce your heating bill by 10%, I get the impression that everything else they say will also just be puffery.

It says "up to 10%"
That translates to 0% to 10% :rolleyes:

I've looked at them, but in my case my drier is also in my furnace room and what's the point of blocking off the drier vent when the furnace fresh air vent will bring air in anyway.

Of course using something like this plus a solenoid operated air intake for the furnace would help in my case.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have one and it works great. I have had it well over a year now.

It is really easy to maintain and there is hardly any lint buildup. It will not clog with lint.

T_Hartigan

Reaction score
I've had one for 3 years now. Works good. Could look better, but no drafts and no lint build up. I haven't had any condensation problems.

Tim

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks