Sewer/Sulfur Smell From Isolated Shower - City Water

Users who are viewing this thread

kucharskimb

Reaction score
Let me start with: It's NOT a leaking/missing trap...

We recently purchased a flipped 1950's house with galvanized piping. We have a new gas water heater. We are on city water.

At our master stand up shower, we have a strong sulfur/gas smell that is emitted when we run cold and/or hot water. I have isolated it to the actual water by catching the water in a bucket and not allowing any to go in the drain. The trap is full of water and does not leak.

This is the only point in the house that emits the smell, and the adjoining master sink and guest sink all come from the same main supply lines.

Initially, I thought the smell was only coming from the hot side, so I ran 3 gallons of bleach through my 50 gallon heater and let it sit in the lines for 3+ hours. All to no avail.

The only suspect item that I can come up with is that the supply lines that tee off of the galvanized pipe to this shower are CPVC, FlowGuard Gold with yellow/orange cement. I do not know what is behind the wall from the mixing valve to the shower head, but I would assume more CPVC. The faucet/mixing valve is a new Price Pfister unit. New shower head.

Looking for any help on this situation.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks