p trap height

Users who are viewing this thread

theslosk

Reaction score
Is there a min/max distance from a shower drain to the p trap? I tore out the existing 1 1/2 inch and replaced with 2" ABS from below in my garage. Unfortunately, the existing floor joists only allow me to put the new trap about 14" from the shower floor surface. Will this create problems?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If I understand your question correctly, .... No, there is no min/max distance from your shower drain to the P-trap, as long as your p-trap is vented properly

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Is there a min/max distance from a shower drain to the p trap? I tore out the existing 1 1/2 inch and replaced with 2" ABS from below in my garage. Unfortunately, the existing floor joists only allow me to put the new trap about 14" from the shower floor surface. Will this create problems?

Depends on which code you are under. The UPC states a 24" max lenth for a tailpiece (from fixture drain to p-trap)

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
In another thread, a poster found the noise created by the water falling a long way into the trap was objectionable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks