3 year old well pump motor case corroded so badly it seized up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedbump

Reaction score
That one worked.

I see how he is doing it. His pumps have the plastic suction and discharge. Mine are all stainless. Big difference.

bob...

Blown

Engineer
Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. Hopefully the plastic parts will hold up at least as long as I own the house.

Question: Is all electrical tape waterproof, or do I need to shop for something that specifically says "waterproof"?

I think I am going to take your advice and not try to get the motor repaired, but go ahead and pick up a new Franklin 1hp motor from a local pump place. I'd buy from you since you've been a big help, but shipping on a 40lb motor...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Ah, that makes sense. Hopefully the plastic parts will hold up at least as long as I own the house.

Are you planning to move soon?
icon10.gif

Shipping on a 1/2hp sub, pump and motor to New York was $11.00, so it wouldn't be much different on a 1 hp motor. They are about the same weight.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Update: My friend Danny who sells Grundfos and who used to work for Red Jacket when they still made their own motor tells me the damage to your motor is electrolysis. I learned something today also. The top cap on the motor is Aluminum, the ring under it is Cast Iron and the shell is Stainless. No wonder along with the Sulphur this motor looks the way it does. He said he didn't know if they still make their motors this way, but they used to.

Your getting a Grundfos motor which is all stainless, so rest assured this won't happen again.

bob...

Blown

Engineer
Reaction score
I forgot to update after I got this all resolved. I bought a motor from speedbump. Installed it, it dropped in place just as expected, and I have water!

Thanks for the update on the aluminum vs. stainless, speedbump!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks