Outdoor Motion Detecting Lights switch location

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I'd like to mount some motion detecting lights on the sides of my house (between the houses and on the street), but I do not know where to put the on/off switch. Next to an outside door seems obvious, but the lights are not really next to a door anywhere.

What do you think?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you use something like one of the Insteon or X-10 controls, you can put a remote anywhere in the house and control it, say from a bedroom(s), or a wall switch. Wiring up a 3 or 4-ways switch is much harder after the fact. www.smarthome.com or www.x10.com

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the lights are say to cover the front or back, then by that door might be useful. But, if you go with one of the remotely controlled units, you don't need an external switch at all (still handy, though). You can use multiple remotes to control the lights, regardless. They also have some stick on the wall switches that are a single purpose remote...put it anywhere, on the side of your dresser, headboard, or use multiples of them where ever you think it's useful.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
I find it's nice to use different switch colors for different lights when you have a bunch of switches together.

I like to use black for outside lights and items like bathroom fans.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I've always been amused by the fact that there are two things in life that really need to be labelled, and almost never are:

1) Residential light switches
2) The drawers in mechanics' rollaround tool chests.

I'm planning on selling a guide to circuits and switches when I sell the house...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks