Pump retrieval line

Users who are viewing this thread

Jim Isbell

Reaction score
I just bought a Shur-Dri submersible pump from Tractor Supply. In the instructions for the installation it says you should use a polypropylene retrieval rope. That is what the old pump had as well. I would like to use nylon instead as it is stronger and it is better than that crappy polly rope.

Is there some reason that I should NOT use nylon??

Jim Isbell

Reaction score
I guess that is my question. Should I be comfortable with nylon? I am pretty sure that I shouldn't be comfortable with sisal because it would rot. And I would definitely be comfortable with stainless steel, but I don't know if there was some reason the Shur Dri people said Polypropylene and didn't mention Nylon which is right beside the Polypropylene in the hardware store. In other words, was it a deliberate slight with a reason, or just that no one thought of it?

Speedbump

Reaction score
It may be that poly doesn't stretch and nylon has a 40% stretch ratio.

The main reason for the rope is so hopefully people won't pull them by the cord. A lot of warranties have been voided because of cords pulled from the pump.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I wouldn't use any type of "rope". If it breaks, that usually happens when you are using it to pull a pump... it can cause you to never get the pump out of the well; or spend mucho bucks to get a stuck pump out of a well because of the rope. And the drop pipe the pump is hung on is more than strong enough to pull a pump with.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Gary has me thinking now. Is this a sump pump we are talking about or a submersible "Well" Pump??? If it's a well pump, don't use anything but drop pipe and wire. If it's a sump pump, do use the poly rope.

Gary is absolutely right about the submersible "Well Pump", use no rope or those stupid torque arrestors.

bob...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks