DIY macerator and lift station

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My neighbor just parked a 5th-wheel trailer on his property, got the power and water hooked up OK, and now is busily engaged in digging a ditch to run a 3" waste pipe to an existing septic tank, so he can periodically drain the holding tank on the RV.

He's been working for a coupel of hours and has gotten about 18" so far. He's going around a large oak tree and has only begun to get into the serious roots.

I'm wondering if he can somehow rig up another tank as an ejector-pit kind of device, so that he could dump the RV tank into the pit and then macerate it and pump it to the septic tank through a 1" pipe -- or whatever it takes, which wouldn't require the ditch, slope, etc.

Any suggestions?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I had a similar situation with our houseboat several years ago where I was using 20 feet of 6" pipe in the bilge as a holding tank. I put a st90 on the end of the 6" pipe and used a reducing coupling (not a coupling and bushing) to get down to the input size of the pump.

Tell him to use just a short piece of flex hose to get to the ground, and to then connect the flex to a short, same-sized piece of PVC pipe with a reducing coupling on the other end to get down to the input size of the macerator pump ... and to then just plumb on out from there. And if he would rather not use the flex hose to come off his dump valve, a rubber coupling in place of the flex hose would connect to the same-sized PVC pipe (and probably a 45) leading down to an ell at the ground and the reducing coupling.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I was using 20 feet of 6" pipe in the bilge as a holding tank
Very clever. This is all moot now -- I suggested this to him this afternoon, and he said "gravity always works", and whacked away at another root. I guess he's had problems with sump pumps in the past and doesn't want to be dependent on electricity either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks