Switching propane gas valve to nat gas water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

jbclem

Reaction score
I have an old propane water heater with a fairly new main valve. I'd like to find a good used water heater but propane water heaters are rare. There are some 2 year old natural gas water heaters available and I'd like to know if there is a reason that I couldn't use my newish propane valve in a water heater that was originally set up for natural gas.

I'm assuming the burner assembly has a propane orfice so that would also be transfered.

jc

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is never permitted to convert a residential Ng water heater to propane. It violates the manufacturer's instructions, its AGA/GAMA listing, the National Fuel Gas Code, and any local plumbing/building code.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lpg

1. tbe burner connection on a LPG thermostat is a left hand thread.
2. The burner in a natural gas heater is stamped metal, in an LPG one it is cast iron.
3. The internal pressure regulator is set too low for LPG.
4. The orifice may not be interchangable even if you disregard the above reasons not to do it.

jbclem

Reaction score
Sorry for the long delay in answering, hope someone is still watching...

Thanks for giving the specific reasons against this idea. Since I have a working valve/burner combination, and it's the tank itself that's old and rusting out, I thought I could just switch tanks but re-use the valve/burner combination so everything would be correct, propanewise.

Is the tank from a propane water heater different from a natural gas water heater tank...heavier gauge metal, larger burner area? I'm trying to understand specifically what the differences are that would make it unsafe to use a natural gas water heater tank with a propane burner setup. How about the thread where the thermostat/valve screws into the tank? Is that different/incompatible?

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lpg

The tanks are the same, the burner, pilot, and controls are different and it you go up two postings, my previous reply gives the answers to your questions.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
hj has given the nuts and bolts reasons. The LEGAL reasons are that a water heater is listed by AGA ( sort of like UL for gas) and any modifications not performed BY the manufacturer IN their factory violate the listing, thus making it illegal to use. Also, since the manufacturer specifically prohibits it, then do so also is a prima facie violation of plumbing and building codes, which require that all equipment is installed per its manufacturer's requirements.

So, we are not just trying to give you a run around. There are legal reasons, and practical ( SAFETY) reasons why you cannot convert.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks