(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wondering if I made a mistake sweating copper

DIY Senior Member jeff_bathroom's Avatar

It's interesting that there does not seem to be a 100% method to address this problem, other than waiting for the water to stop completely. Maybe this is an opportunity for the Wonder people to produce a specially designed bread tot or something guaranteed to dissolve completely. I would just love to buy a tube of 3/4" Wonder bread-tots at Home Depot.
    I also just realized I didn't answer taysan's question as to why I'm soaking the screens and not using a toothbrush. Our water is very hard here, so I thought to try to remove other deposits in addition to the bread.
    Hopefully this new softener will help that situation. One thing I noticed right away is that the water tastes much, much better (really deserves three or four "much's" to describe how "much" better it tastes). Our water is supposed to be very good here in terms of having low levels of polutants and whatnot, but it is pretty bad tasting due to the minerals I guess. I could not really even drink the water from our frige that goes through a filter...it still tasted awful.
    The water now is devoid of that minerally/chlorinated after taste. I'm very impressed so far. Of course that is only the charcoal and pre-filters at work. The jury will be out for awhile about the salt-free softener. This is Pelican as some probably have guessed and I don't want to upset nor get into that argument with any "water people" when I've described the product as a "softener". I'll update this thread with an honest appraisal of that product in a couple months after it's had time to work. If it doesn't work as advertised, I won't let my ego get in the way of telling you so.
    Thanks everybody for your advice !
    -- Jeff

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Water Filter

Try A " Multi-pure" Water Filters For Really Good Testing Water

Multipure.com :d

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Don't need one since I purchased this one. But, I'm sure that's good info for other folks looking for one. Thanks.

Default Terry - Tieger plumbing says hello

I had also posted the question related to this thread on one of your competitor's web sites (good to get a few opinions). They'd been pretty busy I guess because I didn't get a reply until days after I completed the job.
    But, he said you're a nice guy and to say hello.
    So, "Hello from Tieger plumbing".

-- Jeff

Default Regarding performance of Pelican Filter/Softener

I've had it installed for around a month now.
    I'm very pleased with it.
    The "softener" part of it works well. I'll still get spots on a sink
    for example, but they clean off very easily. The hard water spots
    don't happen any more.
    I was so happy with the filtering part of it (water tastes great) that I bought
    one of those sparkling water machines from Soda Club. I'm now drinking about a quart of sparkling water a day. And, I've never been a water drinker. We don't buy gatorade or water from the store any more as that's what I used to drink after some of my sweaty DIY jobs.
    Anyway, two thumbs up for Pelican.
    Only question now is whether these units last as long as they advertise
    before needing to be refilled.
    -- Jeff