(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Wondering if I made a mistake sweating copper

Hybrid View

DIY Senior Member jeff_bathroom's Avatar

Default Wondering if I made a mistake sweating copper

Hi,
    I've sweated copper before with no leaks. This time I have 1" fittings that needed to be connected to 3/4" pipe, so I have 3/4 copper adapters. I wasn't thinking about it of course til after I was done, but I sweated all the 3/4 adapters onto the 1" connectors without also sweating to the pipes themselves. I was wondering if when I heat up the fitting again to connect the pipe, if I'll screw up the original sweated joints?
    I sure hope not since there's eight of them and those 16 pieces were pretty expensive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -- Jeff

Not sure if I have the picture correctly, but the unsoldered joints must be disassembled, cleaned, and fluxed before soldering. If you don't go wild with the torch and overheat the joint, you can probably get the new joints soldered OK without messing up the previous ones. If you do have to take the original joints apart, you can reuse the fittings although cleaning out the old solder can be a PITA, it's done all of the time.

Hi Gary,
    that's what I wanted to know. I'm uncertain whether I'll have issues
    til hooking it all up. I hope not because removing the solder and redoing all of it does sound like a major pita. Just to give you the full picture; what this is for is to hook up whole house water filter and softener.
    So, it goes like this: I'll need to connect to the incoming 3/4" copper supply to the house. That connects first to a main on/off valve, then a prefilter, then the carbon filter, then the softener tank then back out to
    the house. So, all those connections between units required a step up to
    1" fittings from the 3/4" of the house. So, picture the first connector which
    would be a 3/4" adapter to a 1" threaded connector. There's 8 of those and I pre-soldered all of the adapters to the connectors.
    Thanks for your input.
    -- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_bathroom View Post
    Hi Gary,
    til hooking it all up. I hope not because removing the solder and redoing all of it does sound like a major pita. Just to give you the full picture; what this is for is to hook up whole house water filter and softener.
    So, it goes like this: I'll need to connect to the incoming 3/4" copper supply to the house. That connects first to a main on/off valve, then a prefilter, then the carbon filter, then the softener tank then back out to
    would be a 3/4" adapter to a 1" threaded connector. There's 8 of those and I pre-soldered all of the adapters to the connectors.
    Thanks for your input.
    -- Jeff
    Just sweat the joints. If the presoldered joint heats up just flux it externally and hit it with some more solder to make sure there are no gaps. No problem

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_bathroom View Post
    Hi Gary,
    Thanks for your input.
    -- Jeff
    If you have threaded fittings to screw into 1" threaded holes or onto 1" MPT fittings, you've done this all wrong if now you can't screw the male or female adapters because they are soldered onto the tubing and the tubing can't rotate. Or did you mean you soldered reducing slip x slip fittings onto 1" tubing and didn't finish the 3/4" tubing joint? Adapters are threaded.

Also, the prefilter and carbon filter will eventually starve your softener for water flow and shorten the life of your resin. If you are on 'city' water, it is not a good idea to remove chlorine on a whole house basis.Drinking water and shower head filters are a much better choice. If you are on your own well, you should not use carbon on water of unknown microbiological content. Who ever you bought the softener and filters from should have told you this before they took your money.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Hi Winslow,
    thanks for the tip about the flux. I'm going to try to finish
    this up today.
    -- Jeff

Hi Gary,
    Sorry, I don't know what an MPT or slip x slip fitting is. I'm ok with the issue of being able to screw the pipes on. I'm not in the situation where I won't be able to do that.
    Not sure what you mean about that the prefilter and carbon filter will "eventually" starve the softener for water flow. The manual does say that if water pressure drops off, then the prefilter probably needs to be changed.
    I read documentation and reviews about these units. I didn't see anything about the issues that you're speaking of including the comments about chlorine and microbiological content. I'm open minded though. If you wouldn't mind posting some independant URLs about the subject, I'd like to review it/them.
    Thanks.