Summer Cottage Hot Water Heater Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

BBranch

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have been cruising this site for a while and it seems to offer good advice to us novices.
I have a cottage in northern Michigan that is used on mostly weekends from May-October. The current water heater is an electric, 40 gal, Made for Dayton electric of Chicago?, ser# 8915120332, mod# 3E119K, dual element unit. The water heater is drained during winter months. After filling this spring (no power was turned on until after filled) the unit is not heating the water. I hit the reset button above element, the water is slightly warm, I checked the temperature at the bottom release and it too was only warm so I don't think it is the dip tube. Some questions:

1) Am I correct in thinking the unit was manufactured in 1989 by reading the serial number?

2) Because the unit is only used half of the year, would it make sense to expect twice the lifespan?

3)If so, should I replace elements, dip tube, anode rod, etc.... re-build, or just get a new unit?

4) Because of being seasonal, are there any choices I should make differently than if purchasing a unit for a full time residence?

5) I have gotten a quote from a local plumber of approx $500 installed for a Bradford/White 50 gal electric. He said it is high effiency, not sure if he's talking the energy saver, or the true high effiency. Does this price seem reasonable (I'll confirm which model)?. He also quoted $50-$60 to install new toilet and shut off valve.

Thanks for all input,

Bill

BBranch

Reaction score
Also, the water is hard water from an old well, quality doesn't seem too bad but I don't have any test results.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It was made is 89 like you thought. It is most likly the lower element. If you wantv to mess with it you need to get an electric meter with an ohm function and test the lower element. There could be other things wrong. Seeing that it is 19 years old you may just want to replace it and be done with it. With a new heater you will have faster recovery due to no mineral build up covering the lower element.

Replacement is what I would recomend, but it could be repaired. You are on borrowed time as far as it developing a leak. Well past the average life span of an electric heater.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That $500 quote is the most reasonable WH install quote I've ever heard discussed on this forum...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks