Clogged Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I posted here about 6 months ago that I had a toilet that would gargle when I'd be taking a shower. I called out a plumber and he ran a power snake down the line and went out about 35'. It was a very easy snake run and it never hit anything solid in anyway. For six months I didn't have a problem. Now the problem is back. On occaision even when I use the sink the toilet will gurgle.

I know with 100% certainty that nothing irregular went down the toilet or any other drains in the house.

Would could be the issue?

What is the next plan of attack?

Background:

Cement slab house, with cast iron pipes.

No clean out.

Thanks

Tom

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may want to consider running a camera down the line after it is cleaned again. My guess is if it was cleaned properly there is a belly in the line. Other defects would usually be felt by the person snaking the line.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The gurguling would happen very quickly so he said the problem was close by. I will say that it did fix the problem for between 4-6 months.

Should I try some form of drain cleaner or is this problem bigger than that? I'd be willing to spend some money on drain cleaner if even for $hits sake. No pun intended.

What does camera work usually run?

Thanks

Tom

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Chemicals will not work on this type of problem. The line needs to be snaked for the entire length, clear to the main sewer line. It is possible that there is a break in the line that is catching paper and building a clog over time. If, after a complete clearing of the line, you continue to experience clogging, you should have a camera inspect the line. Avoid chemicals.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
My next guess (I'm not a pro plumber, just a long-time DIYer) is that you may have roots getting into that sectional CI drain pipe. A snake will just punch right through a hairlike rootball, giving only temporary relief. A camera to resolve what the problem is, is your best bet as advised. If it is roots getting into the sections of CI pipe, then usually replacement is the only solution. If it's just a break that is causing the problem, then a break repair may just do it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I really hope it isn't roots. I've got some real big trees in the yard.

Just got off the phone with the plumbing company that ran the snake. I had the line snaked in October. The scheduler there asked me if he pulled back any tree roots when he ran the snake and I said no. Nothing came back up with the snake. She also indicated to me that they sell a product called root-x that is used as preventative maintence on root infested drains. Claimed it was $100 per canister.

Any thoughts on any of this.

Oh yeah she said it was $300 for the camera work for up to 2 hours.

Tom

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Clear the line first then camera the line.
If roots were involved the person snaking the line just might have been able to feel them... I know I do when I hit them!

Redwood slides a big ole pile of chips on belly in the line....
He also puts a small stack on HJ's 35' wasn't far enough!:cool:

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with the Root X stuff? Does it work?

My buddy says that it's Hydrocloric Sulfate or Sulfide (not 100%). Can I just buy that stuff instead of spending $100 per shot?

I'm calling the plumbing company today and having them come out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Tom

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Root-X works well if it's fresh, applied properly and of the right amount.

It is an herbicide that has a foaming action that coats the entire pipe and you let it set overnight before running any water. It's best to use it every 6 months and start immediately (minutes, not hours or days) after cleaning the line so the remaining roots take it up and die before they heal over.

Jason

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Root X Is Great But Check Out Other Plumbers For Pricing You Should Be Able To Get A Better Price On It

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Just an idea….

Could this be a venting problem? Is water backing up into the house, (like in the tub or a shower)? You did say that after the line was snaked the first time, the problem wet away for a while, so I guess it would be a drain problem, but I don’t remember you saying that water was backing up into the house.
I’m no plumber, but I thought I would throw this one in, for those who are.

Good luck,

Mike

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. The water has been slowly draining out of the toilet and since I used the toilet when it first failed I've been flushing it and letting it slowly drain trying to get the filth out of the toilet. Well this morning I looked at the bath tub and now it's filled up.

The plumbers are coming out till tomorrow.

I'm going to call to see if they can come out today.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Tom

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. The water has been slowly draining out of the toilet and since I used the toilet when it first failed I've been flushing it and letting it slowly drain trying to get the filth out of the toilet. Well this morning I looked at the bath tub and now it's filled up.

The plumbers are coming out till tomorrow.

I'm going to call to see if they can come out today.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Tom

Hey Tom,

You did mention in your first post that you didn’t have any clean-outs. You should have two (or at least one) sewer clean outs just outside of the house going towards the city sewer main line. If you have bushes, or have modified the landscaping in that area, the clean-out could be just below ground level. If you could find them, and open them up, if your main line is blocked you could look down the clean-out and see standing water. Not this would solve your problem if it was full of water, but it would tell you that the block is farther down line. If they were empty, the block would be from the clean-outs back towards the house.
I finally broke down and bought a 75’ electric sewer snake, (as I was renting one before for my clients). It came with about 3 different heads, (one spring type, a spade type, and a root cutter). You might check with your plumber and see what he’s using. I’m sure he knows what he’s doing, but it never hurts to ask.
Again, I’m not a plumber, so hopefully if I miss guided you on this post, a plumber will correct me, (hurts at first, but I get over it…eventually).

Mike

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Plumber came out yesterday. He cleared the clog in 15'. He said there are several possibilities going on.

1) Settling could have occurred and the pipe now has a back pitch.

2) Seperation in the pipe that over time collects stuff and eventually clogs

or

3) The tp I'm using is too heavy

I just don't buy #3.

Even though he only needed to go 15' he still had to charge me $300 to run the camera. So I passed on it. If it happens again I'm going to purchase an electric snake and just clean out the pipe myself.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this situation?

Tom

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
snake

I hope they kept on going past the 15' mark. IF that is where the problem was, there could also just be one, or more, secondary locations. The electric snake you need will cost in the neighborhood of $600.00-$1,000.00 and there is a good possibility that you could do like one plumber I worked with, and destroy the $200.00 cable the first time you use it.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts...

I paid just a pinch over $500.00 for my electric snake back on March of 2007. When I use mine, I just don’t push the snake at a fast rate. I kind of tap on the button with my knee and just give it a little at a time. I usually can get the blockage out with the corkscrew head if it’s just paper. I had to use the spade head once on a clients house, (and yes, there was a little of the pucker factor going on) as the spade scraped out the inside of a 2†corroded cast drain line. Make sure you use gloves when you use it, and wash off the line after you are done. I spray done with lithium grease to keep it from rusting out.
You might also try flushing twice to get that heavy TP down. The water might be out running your solids.

Mike

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
He went right to the 25' mark and stopped which is what I paid for.

Can I not use one of the $150 snakes that they sell at HD to clear a tp clog that is 15' away?

What are the down sides of going with this kind of unit?

Tom

Gear Junkie

Plumber
Reaction score
A small cable will kink up faster than a big cable. I would rent a machine if I was in your shoes. I'm a professional drain cleaner so be careful doing this. This is definently not rocket science but there is some danger involved. Don't bother with rootx if you haven't gotten any evidence of roots.

What kind of cutter head is your plumber using? What is he bringing back?Where are you located? I have 2 snakes I'm selling. PM me if your interested.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks