(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clogged Line

Default Clogged Line

Hey guys,

I posted here about 6 months ago that I had a toilet that would gargle when I'd be taking a shower. I called out a plumber and he ran a power snake down the line and went out about 35'. It was a very easy snake run and it never hit anything solid in anyway. For six months I didn't have a problem. Now the problem is back. On occaision even when I use the sink the toilet will gurgle.

I know with 100% certainty that nothing irregular went down the toilet or any other drains in the house.

Would could be the issue?

What is the next plan of attack?

Background:

Cement slab house, with cast iron pipes.

No clean out.

Thanks

Tom

You may want to consider running a camera down the line after it is cleaned again. My guess is if it was cleaned properly there is a belly in the line. Other defects would usually be felt by the person snaking the line.

Default drain

Why did he only go 35'? How did he know that was far enough?

The gurguling would happen very quickly so he said the problem was close by. I will say that it did fix the problem for between 4-6 months.

Should I try some form of drain cleaner or is this problem bigger than that? I'd be willing to spend some money on drain cleaner if even for $hits sake. No pun intended.

What does camera work usually run?

Thanks

Tom

Chemicals will not work on this type of problem. The line needs to be snaked for the entire length, clear to the main sewer line. It is possible that there is a break in the line that is catching paper and building a clog over time. If, after a complete clearing of the line, you continue to experience clogging, you should have a camera inspect the line. Avoid chemicals.

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

My next guess (I'm not a pro plumber, just a long-time DIYer) is that you may have roots getting into that sectional CI drain pipe. A snake will just punch right through a hairlike rootball, giving only temporary relief. A camera to resolve what the problem is, is your best bet as advised. If it is roots getting into the sections of CI pipe, then usually replacement is the only solution. If it's just a break that is causing the problem, then a break repair may just do it.
    Good Luck!
    Mike

I really hope it isn't roots. I've got some real big trees in the yard.

Just got off the phone with the plumbing company that ran the snake. I had the line snaked in October. The scheduler there asked me if he pulled back any tree roots when he ran the snake and I said no. Nothing came back up with the snake. She also indicated to me that they sell a product called root-x that is used as preventative maintence on root infested drains. Claimed it was $100 per canister.

Any thoughts on any of this.

Oh yeah she said it was $300 for the camera work for up to 2 hours.

Tom
    Last edited by statjunk; 05-09-2008 at 09:03 AM.

camera the line

Clear the line first then camera the line.
    If roots were involved the person snaking the line just might have been able to feel them... I know I do when I hit them!

Redwood slides a big ole pile of chips on belly in the line....
    He also puts a small stack on HJ's 35' wasn't far enough!

Anybody have any experience with the Root X stuff? Does it work?

My buddy says that it's Hydrocloric Sulfate or Sulfide (not 100%). Can I just buy that stuff instead of spending $100 per shot?

I'm calling the plumbing company today and having them come out.

Thanks for the help guys!

Tom

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Root-X works well if it's fresh, applied properly and of the right amount.

It is an herbicide that has a foaming action that coats the entire pipe and you let it set overnight before running any water. It's best to use it every 6 months and start immediately (minutes, not hours or days) after cleaning the line so the remaining roots take it up and die before they heal over.

Jason

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Clogged Line

Root X Is Great But Check Out Other Plumbers For Pricing You Should Be Able To Get A Better Price On It

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site

Default Just an ideaÖ.

Could this be a venting problem? Is water backing up into the house, (like in the tub or a shower)? You did say that after the line was snaked the first time, the problem wet away for a while, so I guess it would be a drain problem, but I donít remember you saying that water was backing up into the house.
    Iím no plumber, but I thought I would throw this one in, for those who are.

Good luck,

Mike

Funny you should mention that. The water has been slowly draining out of the toilet and since I used the toilet when it first failed I've been flushing it and letting it slowly drain trying to get the filth out of the toilet. Well this morning I looked at the bath tub and now it's filled up.

The plumbers are coming out till tomorrow.

I'm going to call to see if they can come out today.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by statjunk View Post
    Funny you should mention that. The water has been slowly draining out of the toilet and since I used the toilet when it first failed I've been flushing it and letting it slowly drain trying to get the filth out of the toilet. Well this morning I looked at the bath tub and now it's filled up.

The plumbers are coming out till tomorrow.

I'm going to call to see if they can come out today.

Any thoughts on any of this?

Tom
    Hey Tom,

You did mention in your first post that you didnít have any clean-outs. You should have two (or at least one) sewer clean outs just outside of the house going towards the city sewer main line. If you have bushes, or have modified the landscaping in that area, the clean-out could be just below ground level. If you could find them, and open them up, if your main line is blocked you could look down the clean-out and see standing water. Not this would solve your problem if it was full of water, but it would tell you that the block is farther down line. If they were empty, the block would be from the clean-outs back towards the house.
    I finally broke down and bought a 75í electric sewer snake, (as I was renting one before for my clients). It came with about 3 different heads, (one spring type, a spade type, and a root cutter). You might check with your plumber and see what heís using. Iím sure he knows what heís doing, but it never hurts to ask.
    Again, Iím not a plumber, so hopefully if I miss guided you on this post, a plumber will correct me, (hurts at first, but I get over itÖeventually).

Mike