Going vertical from a horizontal waste line

Users who are viewing this thread

MajMetro

Reaction score
I'm running a 2" shower drain that plumbed horizontally in a joist bay and want to takeoff vertically with my vent line downstream of my p-trap.

Is the fixture I use a sanitary tee on its back with the branch running vertical? A vent tee keeps popping in my mind, but I'm thinking that fixture is only for the dry vent portion. I'm having a terrible brain lapse... :eek:

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

Around here you would have to use a "combination Y-1/8" bend since it would be below the spill rim of the fixture. Some areas will allow a sanitary tee in that application, however.

MajMetro

Reaction score
hj

Thanks for the reply.

I'm working in a 2x10 floor joist bay between the basement and mainfloor of our 1950's ranch.

The bathroom is all tile and the wife wants it to remain original.

The enclosed 32"x32" shower was framed on all three sides with the studs facing parallel vs perpendicular to the plates. (1 1/2" cavity vs 3 1/2")

The joist bay below the mainfloor shower has NO wall with a large enough cavity to vent upwards (staying within the confines of the bay) and staying within the 5' radius of the trap. So, I have to bore through a double joist over to the old vent line location. (Previously the drain went under the joist... 6' 11" floor to joist bottom in the basement... I'm trying to get some head room and not have to build a chase below the joists)

Thus I've little working room above my proposed waste lines.

Terry posted the chapter on venting the other day. I couldn't find anything specific to my question. Are there any other sources you might point me too? I will check with my local inspectors.

Thanks again,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks