Pool Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdoll42

Computer Systems Engineer
Reaction score
I desperately need to replace the power run to my inlaw's pool. They jumpered it off of the sunroom circuit which was probably already overloaded. You should see the lights dim when the pump kicks on. I guess that's what you get when you let pool guys do electric work.

Anyway, the easiest route would be to take it buried between the pool and the house (about 50-60'), then run up through the garage attic, down the length of the house, and then drop down to the main panel (another 75' or so). I want to make sure I do it right, so here's a few questions before we get started:

1. Does the buried section need to be in conduit, or can we just use "burial cable"? (How about "burial cable" in conduit?) What are the depth requirements?

2. If we use "burial cable", once we get it in the house, do we have to transition to regular "romex" cable?

3. There is an existing GFCI out at the pool. Is there a need for one earlier in the run (i.e. before the cable goes underground)? Should I move the GFCI closer to the house?

I know what my gut tells me on each of these, but I'd like to hear what the pros think. Thanks!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Be very careful with pool wiring. It was recently announced that a number of US servicemen have been KILLED by faulty wiring around showers and pools at their barrack locations in Iraq. The wiring was installed by overpriced, underqualified contractors. Not that I would volunteer to work in Iraq for any amount of money, but if I ended up there I would not pass off sloppy, dangerous, installations just because it is "over there" with no inspector!!

Jdoll42

Computer Systems Engineer
Reaction score
Be very careful with pool wiring. It was recently announced that a number of US servicemen have been KILLED by faulty wiring around showers and pools at their barrack locations in Iraq. The wiring was installed by overpriced, underqualified contractors. Not that I would volunteer to work in Iraq for any amount of money, but if I ended up there I would not pass off sloppy, dangerous, installations just because it is "over there" with no inspector!!

Agreed 100%! I'm scared for the safety of the pool occupants (#1) and the safety of the house (#2). That's why I think it needs redone. I wonder if one of those "overpriced, underqualified contractors" installed their original pool wiring. :eek:

Marv

Reaction score
Off Topic...distilled water is actually an insulator. It will only conduct electricity if it has impurities in it like metal or salt. Thats why, when your basement fills up with water after a big storm, the lights may still be on under the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks