frequent cycling vs. constant flow

Users who are viewing this thread

brianva

Reaction score
This is a great forum. I've learned allot since finding it. Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information. Here's my situation. I have a deep well and jet pump running to a 20 gallon Well mate tank.

I recently installed an irrigation system. I increased the cut on/off settings to 45 and 70. The irrigation system runs fine, plenty of pressure, but I'm finding that after the tank is depleted (usually in about 10 seconds), the pump runs continuously until I finish watering. The pump obviously can't fill the tank up while the sprinkler heads are on.

My question is this:
Should I install an additional, larger tank, thereby allowing the pump to catch up and cycle more frequently,

Or: should I just leave it as it is and let the system run off the pump?

I don't know which is better or worse for the pump. Cycling or running constantly.

Thanks for any advice you guys could offer.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
... after the tank is depleted (usually in about 10 seconds), the pump runs continuously until I finish watering ...

Should I install an additional, larger tank, thereby allowing the pump to catch up and cycle more frequently ...

I don't know which is better or worse for the pump. Cycling or running constantly.

Running constantly is better than cycling, and a larger tank would not affect the pump's output in order to "allow it to catch up" along the way. As long as your pump can maintain the pressure and flow you need while it is running continually, your overall configuration is ideal.

brianva

Reaction score
That's great news. Thanks for the information.

Out of curiosity, what is a safe period of time for a jet pump to run continuously before needing to cool down?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks