(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Extruded Polystyrene Insulation

Default Extruded Polystyrene Insulation

In previous posts the advice I was given was to use Extruded Polystyrene Insulation in my basement walls.

I see at the big orange box store they have 3/4 -2x8 FOAMULAR Extruded Polystyrene Insulation with an r value 0f 3.8. Can I double this up to give me more insulation and r value or or is there no extra value in place two sheets between the wall studs?

They also have 1 1/2 FOAMULAT INSULPINK extruded polystyrene on sale, but Im not sure what the difference is between the two products and if this is exactly what products were that you guys advised me to get.

Thanks

Tom

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Generally R-values are additive; I would expect the 1 1/2" stuff to have an R value of about 7.6. I'd prefer the 1 1/2" myself if I had that much space to fill, to eliminate cutting and pasting. An important consideration in installing this stuff is to be sure there are no gaps around the edges (next to the studs, etc.) which would allow air to leak around the insulation.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you go to a full-service lumberyard, you can probably find foam in any thickness you wish. Pick the one that give you the insulation factor you want or need. You may find that paying someone to foam-in-place comes out about the same price, and then you'd not have any gaps at the edges, around outlet boxes, or pipes.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

The other way not to get gaps, in a basement situation, is to glue it to the walls & then frame inside that.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Today I got a email from Ownes Corning that stated they recommend that I do not use polystyrene in a below ground application, but did not specify why. I sent a reply back for more information, but have not heard back yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ctkeebler View Post
    Today I got a email from Ownes Corning that stated they recommend that I do not use polystyrene in a below ground application, but did not specify why. I sent a reply back for more information, but have not heard back yet.
    are you sure they are not refering to outside below grade ?

My question to them was about interior below grade. Ill copy the email they sent and post it here.