Shower Stop-Check Valve Leaks at Screw

Users who are viewing this thread

GooSkinBaldi

Reaction score
Please forgive me as I am very wet behind the ears when it comes to plumbing.

I live in a condo so the only way I can shut off the water to my shower is through these T-shaped shut off valves. Using a flat head screw driver, one can tighten the screws to shut off the water and loosen the screws to turn the water on.

Shower was leaking at cartridge, maintenance turned off water by tightening the screws extremely tight, 1/2 year later I fixed the cartridge leak, and when I went to turn the water back on I noticed a very small drip coming from the shut off screw. Not anywhere around the outside of the copper T-shape unit, but actually inside around the screw.

I figured there were some washers inside the valve unit that were damaged by over-tightening. Could this be true?

Someone also said I could try tightening the nut on the T-valve but I don't know which nut to tighten, the outer, smaller nut or the outer, larger nut (the nut closer to the main water line). I'm afraid to do this since I cannot shut off the water completely without shutting off the water to the whole building.

Thanks in advance.

GooSkinBaldi

Reaction score
Picture

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• PlumbingAnnotated2.jpg
    PlumbingAnnotated2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 972

GooSkinBaldi

Reaction score
Tightening the nuts stoped the leak

I decided to break down and buy some deep sockets to tighten the nuts. I tightened the outer nut and the leak has stopped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks