Replacing Sewer Drain Cap in Basement Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

LFM

Reaction score
I am wondering if a Wheeler # 527 Pipercuttering tool is the best way to cut the sewer steel pipe that is in the basement floor? The sewer line that has the cleanout has the threads missing and no longer allows the drain to be capped off. I have attempted to cut this metal pipe with a sawzall but it barely scratched the surface of it after using two metal cutting blades.

Can someone help with how a Wheeler Pipecutter works and will it cut this pipe or is there a better tool to do this for a homeowner to use. It is a 4 inch pipe with a hub just above the cement floor and would like to get this project done. Seems there is little information on these tools or even what this metal pipe is made of. It must be very hard being a sawzall did nothing to it.

What will I need to replace it being I am going from the metal pipe to a plastic pipe being it will be two different materials and sizes will be different? Do they make a "Mission Coupler" that will fit the metal pipe as well as fit the pvc pipe and will it be tight enough to be able to tighten and loosen the clean out cap being they seem to get locked in place?

Any information would be helpful. I have broken up some of the cement floor around the pipe but trying to only open the floor large enough to get a tool in to cut the metal pipe.

Thanks in advance for any info...

Mike / LFM

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There are cleanout caps that are often used to seal a cleanout that has no threads left. A "Lead Fit-All" or a "Test Plug" could be used. No pipe cutting or, floor breaking is required!

LFM

Reaction score
I had thought about that but the threaded section is missing about 1/3 of the threads on one of the sides and it is tough to get anything down far enough to seal it off. Any time you run water flush the tolietyou hear it in the basement especially when you are near this clean out pipe. Just thought it would be a good idea to get it capped off.

That is why I was wondering about this pipecutter I read it in a home repair book but the book was a few years old and I look for this one online and found little information even on their website. They call it a soil/pipecutter but nothing on a 527. I just was wondering if there are any other tools that will cut this pipe. I have the floor already broken up around the pipe that was easy just need to find a tool that can cut this kind of pipe.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why don't you post a picture of what you are trying to fix here...
I'm not convinced you need to cut the pipe!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks