Sprinkler Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

dougle

Reaction score
This is off of another thread and i thought it would get a more knowledgable response in here.....
I have a shallow well for irrigation (water at 18.5'). Would a 1 hp wayne Sprinkler pump work for me or am i better off with a shallow well jet pump. I've read about issues with the sprinkler pump not being able to draw enough. thanks

Gary,
I'm not a pump expert by any means, but I believe you must determine how many gpm of water you need to operate the sprinklers then get a pump that will supply that much, probably with a little extra just to be sure. Sprinkler head wear and get a larger diameter thereby putting out more gpm than originally rated, you may add to the zones, and it's nice to have a reserve so you're not always maxed out. Something like have a little more HP in you car than you really need. Some of the pump experts might have some additional thoughts.

Thanks Gary, my needs are max 7 GPM. most zones are 5-6 GPM. I'm more concerned about the "sprinkler" pump vs a shallow well jet pump. Ideally i need a 3/4hp pump but 1hp would do and i have access to one for a decent price. If anyone knows of a 3/4hp shallow well jet pump used or whatever for a good price PM me. thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
I don't like PM's but I have a 1/2hp jet pump (NEW) for $257.04. It's a quality pump, not a Wayne. You certainly don't need a self priming centrifugal for 5 - 6 gpm. A jet is what you want. This 1/2hp pump will give you 6 gpm at 40 psi with a ten foot lift.

bob...

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
The Wayne "Lawn Sprinkler Pump" belongs in a time warp, when sprinkler heads were all-brass popup sprays, that only needed about 15 to 20 psi to operate.

dougle

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My well can only produce 8-10 gpm therefore i'm limited in the # of heads per zone. I think 1/2hp might be pushing it for a 18-20ft draw and 6gpm thanks

Speedbump

Reaction score
Are you saying that your water level is at 18.5 feet? In other words you will have an 18.5' lift to the pump?

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Thanks guys. My well can only produce 8-10 gpm therefore i'm limited in the # of heads per zone. I think 1/2hp might be pushing it for a 18-20ft draw and 6gpm thanks
Is that a true pump output test or the recovery rate of the well? If it is from the pump, and you can't feed enough heads, you need a larger pump.

If it is the recovery rate gpm, what diameter well do you have? A 6" gives you storage of 1.47 gal/foot of water above the pump's inlet.

dougle

Reaction score
Yes Bob, water level is 18.5', not sure what drawdown is. Wellpoint is 1.25". I can "pull" 8gpm for at least an hour with an old 3/4hp jedjacket that i had

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks