Algae or slime in the water

Users who are viewing this thread

Tenderpaw

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 9 year old house with copper pipes and a 550 foot well near Houston. My tank is galvanized and holds 120 gallons (i think). The well has a plastic pipe. I do not have any filters. We have always had a problem with algae growing in the toilet tanks. Actually it hasn't been a problem because my wife didn't know it and it did not impact the operation of the toilet.

However now when you fill the tub, very small bits of alge are going into the tub. It's kind of gross and it makes a mess to clean up. If you let the water run a LOT, it thins out but there is still some there. There is a much smaller amount of algae coming from the bathroom faucets and none coming from the kitchen (thank goodness).

Any ideas? BTW, i do have hard non-softened water. I do not have iron problems in that the toilets don't stain red.

Thanks,

Dave

Speedbump

Reaction score
I also have little green bits of algae coming into the house. Not very often but I did notice some the other day (so did the wife!). Algae will grow inside PVC pipes that are in the sun. Then when it gets thick enough, it will flake off and travel into the house. It's a normal thing in the hot sun here. I don't think any harm can come from it beyond a plugged up aerator on the faucet now and then.

bob...

Tenderpaw

Reaction score
The thing is, none of my plastic pipe is exposed to the sun. It is all insulated or covered in some way. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Dave

Tenderpaw

Reaction score
I have not had the water tested since i had the well put in. I should add that i had a problem with water logging due to a defective air shraeder valve. I noticed this problem after that service call but not immediately afterwards.

Dave

lightning

Reaction score
Bad Things From Well

I read on Internet that the black stuff on my toilet tanks walls was some type of bacteria. Now that I have just shocked the well for the 1st time in 10 yrs & added a large filter, I hope the black toiltes are gone! I put 3 glugs-glugs-glugs of deck cleaner in each tank & poof in 2 hrs, clean to eat off!

The filter stops the rust dust & hope it settles down after shocking well & disturbing the rusty well casing with shocking water (bleach).

My well brings up coal chips. Been 12 yrs now! I have wondered if I should consider raising the intake a bit. The good news is, the chips are heavy enough to fall to bottom of filter glass!
Lightning with house in Western MD in coal area, but no known coal mine in area

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks